Monday, December 5, 2011

Use It Up – Bacon Drippings


I’m sure I’ll have a few critics on this one but I save and re-use my bacon fat. 

We don’t eat bacon very often but when we do I save the pan drippings.  I keep a glass mason jar in my refrigerator and add to it every time I cook bacon.  All of my grandmothers saved their drippings and so do I.  I love the flavor it gives to the foods I cook with it.  In particular, my refried beans.  I fry them in bacon fat and they are delicious!  I also will cook my lean pork sausage with a little of it when I make biscuits and gravy.  I add a little of it to my oil when I make pork fried rice. 

In moderation, using bacon fat when cooking is a good thing and adds wonderful flavor to your dish.  Give it a try, if you don’t already, and remember to save your drippings.  If it is good enough for Emeril it is good enough for meBAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...