Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Mother's Day Weekend


I had one of the best Mother's Day weekends ever.  The girls and I had an enjoyable time hanging out together.  We tried to keep chores to a minimum and the fun to a maximum.  Our idea of fun, however, may not be the same as most.  Most likely it resembles a lot of work.

Before we got started.

We began Saturday by pulling out all the big weeds in our landlady's garden.  With all the rain we've had the weeds have been growing at a tremendous rate and some were taller than my knees.  She was completely overwhelmed by the prospect of trying to do something about them and really didn’t know where to start.  In just over two hours the girls and I had the majority of them pulled out and piled into bins for the trash.  The subsequent wind and rain kept her indoors so she still doesn't know that her garden has been cleaned up.  At least now she won't be so overwhelmed and will be able to get started planting soon.  I was afraid she was feeling like she wouldn't be able to have a garden this year.

Not completely weed free but a huge difference.

We started to lay out our garden area a little bit until the weather drove us back inside.  Normally we plant our stuff on Mother's Day weekend but that wasn't to be the case this year.  Instead we did a couple loads of laundry, then lounged around for awhile and watched TV while my oldest worked on her fundraising project.  Then after supper I got a crazy hair and started working on our bathtub to get it ready for repair.

Sunday morning I got up so stiff and sore from pulling weeds I could hardly move.  However, I got to spend quite a bit of time working on my ancestry project first thing.  My youngest and I made chile rellanos for brunch and a hot milk cake for our dessert that night.  After brunch we headed off to the store for supplies to fix the bathtub and a few items at the grocery store for Mother's Day dinner.

I was super excited to find a plug that fit our kitchen sink at Lowes.  Ever since we moved in I've tried to find one that would work.  We've tried everywhere and finally Lowes had the right size.  Now I don't need to use that dishpan anymore.  While we were there the girls bought me a couple little hummingbird feeders too.  Now we just need some warmer weather so the hummingbirds will come and visit.

Once home I repaired the bathtub (I'll post about this tomorrow) and completely re-caulked it.  I know this doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun but my original plan was to change the oil on my truck however the weather was yucky.  It's how I roll. J  Anyway, I am greatly relieved to have my bathtub back in ship shape and to no longer have to worry about that.  Plus, another item is marked off my To Do list.

The youngest and I fixed dinner while the oldest kindly washed a load of clothes and then washed my rugs for me.  Loved that!  We got supper on the table and enjoyed fabulous strawberry shortcake for dessert afterward.

While we ate we reminisced about my oldest's adoption.  Sunday was also her "Gotcha Day" and when I adopted her in 2002 it was also Mother's Day so a very special day for us both.  I couldn't have asked for a more perfect weekend with my girls. 

I hope all of you moms out there had a special day Sunday.  Please feel free to share how you spent your day.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really nice day to me! How nice of you to help out your landlady- I bet she really appreciated that gesture.
    I am so glad you had a special day with your girls- you deserve it! They sound like really sweet young ladies.
    Our day was spent getting stuff done around the house, much like yours was. We worked in the yard for a while and then decided to take a drive just to get out of the house. We ended up going to a place where we rode go-carts for about 15 minutes then we debated whether to go out to eat. We decided that we could get away a lot cheaper by stopping at the store and picking up some ground beef and making burgers on the grill ourselves. We did that and hung out on the deck and spent some quality time together- we rarely get time like that so it was savored. It was a nice day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like your day was awesome. I'll bet the go carts were fun. It really is the simple pleasures, isn't it?

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...