Thursday, May 15, 2014

Old Fashioned Hot Milk Cake


I made a cake with my youngest on Mother's Day so we could have strawberry shortcake for our dessert that evening.  Hot Milk Cake is the perfect choice as the base of a shortcake, in my opinion.  Plus I love that it is a recipe that has been around for a long time.

I was introduced to this cake in my very first issue of Taste Of Home magazine.  It has been a favorite ever since.

Hot Milk Cake

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 1/4 c. flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups milk
10 Tbs. butter

In a mixing bowl beat eggs at high speed, about five minutes, until thick.  Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy.  Add vanilla.  Combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Add to batter beating on low speed until smooth.

In a microwave safe bowl, place milk and butter.  Heat milk until just before it boils and the butter has melted.  Add hot milk to batter beating until well combined.  Pour batter into a well greased 9" X 13" baking pan.  Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes until cake tests done.

This cake is easy to make, delicious and doesn’t last very long in our house.  I love to top it with fresh fruit and whipped cream but it is so versatile you can pretty much do anything you like with it.  It is wonderful plain too. 

Give it a try! J

1 comment:

  1. I think I forgot to tell you that I made this recipe and it was very good! We all enjoyed it! Thank you for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...