Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Compost


I've written a post about composting once before but it is something I feel worthy of yet another one. J

I love the idea of composting and returning to the earth all the organic material we possibly can.  I'd much rather put my compostable waste to good use and not send it off to be dealt with at landfill.  Plus compost is such good stuff.  They sell if at garden and home improvement stores for amending soil and adding nutrients to lawns and gardens, but if you can make your own and save the cash you would've spent otherwise that’s even better!

My new strawberry bed freshly amended
with compost from last year's stuff.
Composting is another form of recycling as well and the best part is that you really don't have to do all that much.  You add stuff and wait.  Every once in awhile you stir it around with a shovel and then you wait some more.

After a year you have this black stuff that looks like dirt and smells fresh and earthy.  Ready to add to your garden, flower pots or spread across your lawn.  Great stuff.


So what do I put in my compost bin you ask?  Well…

Coffee grounds (filters too) and tea bags
Vegetable waste
Fruit peelings
Egg shells
Bread, rice & pasta
Chicken manure & bedding
Dead grass clippings
Dirt, mulch, leaves, etc.
Shredded newspaper
Wood ashes

I was excited when I found out you can compost dryer lint but I don't anymore because it doesn't break down completely.  Too many synthetic fibers, I'm afraid.



My compost bin is simply an old trash can we have had that happens to have a big crack in the bottom.  I'm glad I can still find a use for it rather than sending it to the landfill.  A leftover piece of lattice covers the top.  Rain can enter and it gets plenty of airflow so nature to take its course.

I use a milk jug with the top cut out of it under my sink to collect items in the kitchen.  Once it is full I empty it into the big bin outside. Every so often I grab my shovel and give it a good toss.  In the summer when there is less rain I will add water to it once a week if it appears too dry.

Do you compost?



6 comments:

  1. I compost in a manor similar to you except I use a plastic coffee can that has a snap on lid. When it's full, I take it outside and dump it into what the previous owners of my house called a garden. Sometimes I use my pitchfork to distribute it often not. Trust me, it will break down. The one thing I won't compost in my little container is onions. They stink up the entire house when I open the container to add to it. PU !!!!!
    I'm looking forward to a healthy and friutful garden this year.
    Vanessa B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on the onions. They do make a stink. If I have much of those I run them outside to the big bin right away. So glad to hear that you do this too Vanessa!

      Delete
  2. I do not compost but I'd really like to. After seeing your posts about this I think I'm about ready to give it a shot!

    Thanks for your comment on my barstool redo! I have a little vintage writing desk that I'm starting on next :o]

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Composting is so simple you won't mind doing it a bit and I'm sure you will come up with something super cute to do it in too. Can't wait to see the desk! :)

      Delete
  3. Our compost bin has a lid on it with a few holes; it rains a lot here and it would be overflowing if it didn't have a lid. For one reason or another, we don't ever turn ours; it just seems to 'melt' down by itself anyhow. We've composted for maybe 10 years now. I love that it puts nutrients back into our soil, but also that between the recycling bin and the compost bin our trash that goes to landfill is greatly reduced.I'm amazed everyone doesn't compost - it's so easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably because you get good moisture. We are pretty dry here so I have to add water and stir it up from time to time. Not a lot though.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...