Monday, December 7, 2015

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


I finally caved and had to turn the main heat on.  With lows in the teens we pretty much had to.  Brrrrr.

I began my Sunday by ordering my youngest a new winter coat on sale at JCPenney.com for $35.99.  It has a nice fleece lining and cute faux fur trim on the hood.  I used my store credit card to pay for it so I could get an extra 20% off making it only $28.79.  I will pay my bill in full before I accumulate any interest.  I also had it sent to the store for pick up which saved me nearly $9 in shipping charges.

This one only in black.

The oldest and I made up a batch of beef and bean burritos for the freezer while watching the snow fall outside our kitchen window.  She made a small batch of chocolate chip cookies.

Sunday afternoon I watched some crime dramas on Youtube for free.  I'm amazed at how many full episodes there are of various television programs on Youtube.  We would be hard pressed to run out of things to watch.

I have been thrifty with my cell phone use lately, without really trying, and managed to get by an extra month before I needed to renew service.  When I did add service I still had quite a few minutes left and was able to buy less time.  I spent $10 less than I normally do.  Three months of cell phone service for $29.99 is quite a bargain.  My youngest was due for renewal in November and since she still has quite a bit left on her phone we decided to wait until after the Christmas break to renew hers.  My oldest on the other hand….  that girl uses her phone, mostly texting.


I began watching the PBS series Mr. Selfridge online using my Roku and Amazon Prime membership.  So far I am enjoying it very much.

I made a batch of cookies to take to work and share.  There were no leftovers at the end of the day. J

Our poor little chickens did not take well to the snow or the freezing temperatures.  They've laid very few eggs.  Now that it has warmed back up above freezing I'm hopeful it will spur them into action once again.  They only laid three eggs all week.

On the way to the grocery store I stopped at the library and checked out three more books to read.


Then off to Winco to do a sizeable shopping trip.  Most of the year I have been stocking our pantry and freezer with loss leader sales items and other items on sale.  Whenever possible I use a coupon to further my savings.  Last week I made up a list of fill in items I was low or out of in my pantry.

I was able to fill our onion and potato bucket, fill our spice bottles in the cupboard and get the last items I needed for baking and candy making such as nuts, margarine, shortening, vanilla coating for dipping pretzels and lemon juice.  I also picked up crackers, shrimp and summer sausage for our "Horse Doover Nite".

Don't these look like fun?

I picked up other items I like to have on hand at the holidays - eggnog, buttermilk, whipping cream, mini marshmallows for cocoa and a very large jar of green olives.

How thrifty were you last week?


2 comments:

  1. I like the coat you got for your daughter! It sounds like your week has been very busy, as well as very thrifty! :)
    This week I have been trying to use what we have to make new things. I read a post on Jess's blog about making treat boxes out of Christmas cards and the kids and I have already made a bunch of boxes out of cards that I saved for the past few years. We are giving the treat boxes filled with candy to neighbors and to staff members in my grandmother's nursing home.
    I made a huge batch of Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal in the crock pot overnight and I was disappointed come morning to find that it didn't really taste too good, not sure why. I was heartbroken at the thought of throwing away all that oatmeal so I decided to try to "repurpose" it. I used my banana bread recipe and made a few loaves of Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Raisin Bread- it came out so good that we can't wait til I mess up another batch of oatmeal in the crock pot! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were able to salvage the oatmeal. It would have broken my heart too to dump it. Of course now we could give it to the chickens. Love your idea with the treat boxes. Very clever!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...