Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Looking Back At 2017


I was looking back through all of the pictures I've taken in the past year and all I can say is WOW!  2017 was quite a year for us.  We did and accomplished a lot!  And while I am thrilled with all that we did I can honestly tell you I'm hoping for a much quieter and less productive year.

Quite often last year I felt like time was constantly getting away from us.  We had so much going on it was like we were in a marathon race to the finish.  By the time the school break arrived for Christmas we were all exhausted.  On the Friday before Christmas I parked my car in the driveway and it didn't move for three days.  We went nowhere and just stayed home.  It was heavenly.

This time last year - we had a lot of snow!!

My youngest is pretty good at pacing herself and isn't usually one to overdo things.  My oldest and I, not so much.  We tend to go, go, go until we can't go anymore and then we go just a little bit further.  It is a crazy way to do things.

Over the break the girls stayed home, reconnected with each other, enjoyed their Christmas gifts and rested.  At first they had a gob of plans to hang out with their friends and do things, but as the days unfolded they changed their plans and stayed home, hanging out with each other instead.

Remember to take time and smell the roses

In 2018 I hope to curb the marathon rat race that has become a huge part of our lives.  We need more downtime, more family time, and less of the go, go, go.  I want to concentrate more on the moments and on each day.  I don't want to look at our weekly schedule and cringe anymore and feel my anxiety spike.  I want breathing space.  And I don't want the new year to slip by and wonder what in the world just happened?



10 comments:

  1. I'm with you! It's so hard to find the right balance between getting everything done, and just relaxing & enjoying life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and if we aren't careful it will pass us right on by. :~/

      Delete
  2. Hi there, We stayed in for a few days too, not leaving the house at all. I call it hibernating! It was perfect.

    My plans are similar to yours for the new year. I'm going to try to slow down and not worry so much. I worry way too much about everything and in the end it usually turns out to be such a waste of energy!

    Happy New Year,
    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that to be true! All that worrying and for what? Nothing.

      Delete
  3. We did not open presents and celebrate until New Years' Eve. It was the first time we were all able to be together. We spent the evening laughing and talking, catching up on each other's lives and just being together.

    We discussed our plans for the new year and we all feel as if we are lost. Two of my sons moved back home, will be looking for jobs and leaving again. My husband and I have decided to sell our house because our health no longer allows us to handle the upkeep. My third son is looking at a promotion and does not know what will happen.

    The future is unknown and we are all floundering. My husband made the sobering statement, "Every time we get together now, may be the last for a long time. Any second, anyone of us will be gone."

    I suppose that is how we should live every day, like it is the last.

    ThriftyMom, I think it is wise that you are deciding to slow down.

    Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good lesson for all of us. Change is constant. Embrace simplicity and cherish each moment. And course, have faith. Happy New Year Jeannie!

      Delete
  4. Downtime. The most beautiful word in the English language. We are going to do that too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't it last year about this time that the roof at the school in Boise collapsed under all the weight of the snow?

    This Christmas found us much more relaxed than we were last Christmas and it was nice. :) I too hope to just spend more time with family and not feel so rushed. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of roofs collapsed last year, it was awful. My daughter's high school roof leaked like crazy from damage. This year is so much better so I'd say we are already blessed! Ha, ha! Take care my friend.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...