Friday, May 11, 2018

Replacing A Fence Post



As if flowerbeds and prom wasn't enough to do last weekend we also replaced the busted fence post Sunday.  I wasn't planning on doing that chore at all.  In fact, my plan for Sunday was to rest and recuperate.  However, the oldest and the boyfriend offered and, to be honest, I was loathe to turn down help on a much dreaded project.






I was right to dread replacing this post because the previous owners (20 some odd years ago) had "fixed" it before by cementing a second post in place and bolting it to the broken one.  Needless to say there was a lot of concrete in that hole.




But we managed it and after much digging we removed what looks like a good three bags of concrete leaving a pretty good sized hole.  We planted the new pressure treated post I had purchased last summer, but ran out of steam before we got it done, and then reattached the fence brackets and secured the rails back into place.  We then put the fence boards back on and the 2" X 4"s along the bottom to keep out the varmints from the field.





We removed the big bolts from the rotten cedar fence posts and then cut them into firewood stacking them in the backyard woodpile.  We'll burn them later in the firepot.  After we put away all the tools we had out we got to stand back and admire our work.  Awesome!  The fence no longer leans and I no longer have this dreaded chore looming over my head needing to be done.  Feels so good to have this project completed!



4 comments:

  1. Daughter's boyfriends can be SO handy! :^)

    My daughter's boyfriend has always offered to pitch in on projects. His latest effort was helping my son and daughter move out of their dorm rooms (they're at the same college) so that my husband and I didn't have to help. He is one thoughtful, kind young man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice to have his help on this project. I really appreciated him!

      Delete
  2. Wow, huge project!!! Congrats on getting it done. I love that you take on these projects (this one would intimidate me big time) and include your girls and the boyfriend. :) They all benefit so much from learning how to do this kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I understood it was his first time using a reciprocating saw. He handled it like a champ! Love teaching these kids how to do stuff. Lots of work, but also lots of fun! :0)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...