Monday, June 10, 2019

Last Week's Thrifty Moves



We woke up Sunday morning at our hotel in Sparks Nevada.  By 11:00 we were back on the road with a full tank of gas and hungry tummies.  We stopped in at a Denny's for breakfast and then drove home from there pretty much nonstop.  Once across the Idaho border we were pretty close to home and it was only a little bit after 5:00.  Knowing there was no food in the fridge at home I decided it wise to stop in Nampa at the Wal-Mart right off the interstate and grab groceries.  We were in and out in twenty minutes and arrived home around 6:30.


We unpacked the car and got busy taking care of business.  Once the car was unloaded put away the groceries and started tackling the mountain of dirty laundry we had brought home from our trip.  We unpacked and started putting everything away, washing up our travel cups and mugs, tossing out trash and recycling, putting away the few clean clothes we had left in our bags, then emptying and cleaning up the coolers.  I got one load of laundry washed and folded before bedtime and the last one folded the following morning.  Only two loads of laundry so it wasn't too bad.


Tuesday morning I took my youngest into the orthodontist for her appointment and she got her braces off!  Looking at the before and after pictures it is amazing how much they were able to do.  I am so happy for her.


Wednesday my oldest filled out all the paperwork for moving into the dorms at the college.  She will be three towns away and on her own, sort of, as of August 24th.  I am super excited for her as she is about to take this next step in her adult life.

This girl was very happy to have her people home

Thursday and Friday were rather uneventful, which was very nice.  I was able to come home from work, fix and eat supper and then decompress from a crazy work week.  And it really was crazy!  LOL

I worked a GOB of overtime last week.


Saturday I woke up drained of all ambition and feeling mentally and physically exhausted.  I knew I needed to have a downtime day and I took it.  It is really hard for me to take a day off from tasks, projects or some type of productivity, but I also know the need to take a break as well.  I relaxed, watched TV, did some writing and ate some really good food throughout the day.  It was a much needed day off.


I cashed in some of my credit card rewards points for a $50 Home Depot gift card.  It will be great to have it for upcoming projects we have planned this summer.

I rinsed out an empty fabric softener bottle with a little bit of water and had enough to use in a load of laundry.

I washed out some gallon sized Ziploc bags to reuse.


I dumped all of the change out of my wallet and put it in my change jar.  I also stuffed all the leftover bills I had from my vacation spending money inside as well.  Now I have a good start on our next adventure.

Some of the 15 Minute Chores I accomplished to keep my home in order:

Laundry Room & Half Bathroom - Daily swish & swipe.

Dining Room - tidied up daily.

Kitchen -  tidied up daily.

Bedrooms & Main Bathroom - The girls cleaned the bathroom.

Other - three loads of laundry.  Swept front porch.


We arrived home to a clean house so most of my housekeeping efforts were centered on unpacking and putting away.  This week I'll be back on my regular chore schedule.

How was your thrifty week?



6 comments:

  1. Home sweet home! Welcome back, vacations are great but there is always a bit of work involved. It's good you took time off to decompress and I hope you're feeling better.

    What a beautiful smile! I bet your youngest is glad to be done with her braces. Now it's time for retainers, right?

    It's nice your college bound daughter will only be three towns away. I'm so grateful my daughter is only two hours away by car. It's so much easier than having to fly for visits.

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home is always good. Yes, retainers. She has permanent ones upper and lower and then the ones she sleeps in.

      I have to tell you it was a relief she chose not to go to school on the East coast. Flights and logistics, yikes! This will be much better for all of us.

      Delete
  2. Getting home after a vacation is always a bit of a whirlwind with unpacking, laundry, groceries. Glad you had a relaxing day to unwind and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm one of these too that has to unpack right away and clean up the mess. I just can't leave it for later.

      Delete
  3. Now that is a gorgeous smile! Glad you had such a good trip.
    Barb in PA

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...