Thursday, September 9, 2021

Making Things Better #8

 


I did a weird little project the other day and I'm really glad I did.  I have a set of Pampered Chef bamboo utensils that I've had for over twenty years.  I love them and I've used them all the time when I'm cooking and baking.  They were looking a little rough with burn marks on the handles, gouges from being smacked against the edges of pans and bowls and let's just say they had developed a little more "patina" than I was comfortable with.  So I took a sander to them and gave them a makeover.  Once I had sanded them smooth and even done a little reshaping they got a bath in hot soapy water.  After they had dried they looked pretty darn good.  I bet I get another twenty years out of this set too.

 

Gross, but not as gross as I was expecting
What a mess of cords, lines & venting!

A bigger project happened a couple weeks ago when I decided to clean the laundry room, particularly underneath the washer and dryer.  I've had this set for about twelve years and when the delivery people delivered it they talked me into setting them up opposite of how I usually have them and I stupidly agreed to it.  The washer and dryer setup has been driving me nuts ever since because the hoses, drain line and dryer vent had to be extra long in order to crisscross and stretch across the room to facilitate the way they had set it up.  The added bulk from this arrangement also made them protrude away from the wall and stick out further than they should.  All so they wouldn't have to flip the dryer door.  I have been unhappy about it and put up with it this way the entire time.

 

This could be a problem

Laundromat style - this will work

I finally decided to put the washer and dryer in their proper places and plumb them the way they should have been done when the "professionals" arrived to do the original install.  I had already pulled them away from the wall so I washed the walls and scrubbed the floor.  I also gave the appliances a good wipe down.  Then I disconnected the dryer vent and pulled the plug figuring it was easier to do the dryer rather than the washer.  I moved the washer into place behind the dryer, then moved the dryer to the other side of the washer.  I shortened the dryer venting and cleaned it out (I was a little past due on this chore) before reconnecting it.

 

I cleaned out and shortened the vent hose

It may not seem like it but this setup sure fits nicer
and it makes the room seem much more spacious

After pushing the dryer into place both units fit much better and the set now sits a good two inches or so closer to the wall.  It is amazing to me how much nicer and more spacious it feels in there now and how much better it looks as well.  I flipped the dryer door, the washer door isn't able to rotate so they face each other, but I think it is still workable.  I have figured out the reason they didn't want to put them like this is in the first place is because they had brought me the wrong washer.  I never even realized it at the time.  It isn't perfect but still, I'm very pleased with the new arrangement.

 


Since I was on a roll I cleaned and reorganized the shelf unit I keep in the laundry room to store our supplies.  I have laundry detergent, softener, bleach, stain spray and scent beads on the top shelf.  Light bulbs are kept on the next shelf.  My Swiffer duster and refills are kept on the third shelf and extra kitty toys, dishes and their grooming brush is on the bottom shelf.  I found a few items that needed to go elsewhere to they were moved to their proper homes and I even tossed some things out that we no longer need or use.

 

Time to purge, too much stuff!

We keep our winter hats, ear warmers and gloves in this cute red enamelware bucket.  Most of the items in here belong to my youngest so I had her go through it to see if there was anything we could purge.  She added a few pair of gloves and a hat that was too small to the donate bag we have going in the garage.  Now everything fits inside much better.

 

Shiny, clean & organized

That is my great grandma's washboard on the wall 😊

I was actually surprised to find items in the laundry room to declutter and purge.  It just goes to show you though that we are never really done with the decluttering process.  It feels good to know now that the only items in our laundry room are what we use on a regular basis.  Keeping this room clean, neat and tidy makes it so much nicer and easier to get the laundry done.  Far more enjoyable too.  I'd say that definitely makes life better.

 

8 comments:

  1. I wish I had a window in my laundry room.

    Good idea on the wooden spoons etc. I am thinking about staining the wood handles of my knifes. They are excellent knives but the handles need some love from getting tossed into the dishwasher for years and years. Some of the knives belonged to my parents when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, do you like the washer on the left and dryer on the right? Or vice versa? I hope they don't quit making dryer doors that open down! I sort of fling the clothes in the dryer and sometimes the door saves them from the floor. When I take clothes out of the dryer, I drag them out onto the door and into the basket. With my bad back, it is the only way I can do it. That looks like a nice set of machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like having the dryer on the left and the washer on the right now simply because the machines seem to fit better and are no longer sticking out so far from the wall.

      Delete
  3. You have a beautiful laundry room. I have to drag laundry up and down the basement stairs. We are saving to finally put the washer and dryer in our kitchen. I hope early next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to clear out the laundry room all summer. We've just not had time. I'm hoping yet before harvest starts. One thing I need is a set of shelves to hold the household cleaners that are now on the floor. I did a pantry clear out a few weeks ago and I am maintaining it and love how organized it is.
    Your laundry room is lovely. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay. I am hoping to possibly add a little bit more storage to it next year. Maybe a cupboard or two. All in due time, of course. ;o)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...