Thursday, September 2, 2021

Setting Physical Limits



Decluttering, minimalizing, downsizing and organizing can be a never ending cycle.  We clear the counters, we declutter drawers and closets, bags go to the donation centers, we toss out the trash and take out the recycling and yet stuff still seems to accumulate.  We bring things in all the time.  Mail, groceries, gifts, purchases, things that are given to us, things we can't say no too, school papers, more paper, packaging (Amazon, I'm talking about you), trash accumulates.  On and on and on.

 


One of the things that has helped me out tremendously to curb that vicious cycle was to set physical limitations on what stays inside our home.  If it doesn't fit it doesn't stay and not wanting to be wasteful I'm now much more aware of the available space in our home so I'm more careful about my purchases.

 


We started with hangers.  Each of us has a certain number and different color hanger.  A reasonable amount of clothing that fits nicely and neatly inside our closets.  Now if I buy a new top or pair of pants I know that if I don't have a hanger then I need to either donate an item or return what I got to the store.  More often than not, before I even make that purchase I now know what I am replacing and that item is already gone.  And as time has gone on I find myself wanting fewer clothing options and now I need fewer hangers.

 


My office supplies used to be all over the place tucked here and there.  Once I decided on a place to store them I made sure I only have what will fit neatly into that space keeping them all together in one spot.  The same with our crafting center.  The purpose of that unit is not only to organize and contain what we have in one space but to manage the volume of it as well.

 


We have one bin of Christmas décor, one bin of fall décor, one bin of Halloween décor.  I have one area in the garage for my canning supplies, one area for tools and project supplies.  You get the idea.  Your physical limits and mine will differ.  While I prefer to confine my décor bins to one per season/holiday you may feel that you need at least six or ten bins.  That is perfectly fine as long as that is what you are comfortable with and you have the designated space to keep that many items.  I have a small house so for me to keep more than what I currently have feels crowded and uncomfortable.  I really like my stuff but I also need open spaces within our home.

 


More stuff not only requires more space, but it also requires more time to manage that stuff.  I personally don't wish to manage a lot of stuff anymore.  I find that I enjoy having less to do and manage so I have more time to do other things I find enjoyable, such as using those craft supplies I have so carefully organized and stored.  If your stuff is overwhelming you or your home consider setting up some physical limits.  It may just be the ticket you need to get some control over your stuff so it isn't controlling you.

 

2 comments:

  1. Such good advice!
    We are slowly working through our stuff, but it is going to take a while.
    I think I have 4 totes of Christmas stuff, but maybe 1 tote of all the rest of the other seasons combined.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...