Friday, April 17, 2020

Home Management - Maintenance & Improvements



An important part of home management is maintaining and improving our home.  Making regular repairs, replacing worn items and upgrading things as we can afford to do so not only keeps our home nice but it improves its value and overall sales appeal.


Paint is not only cosmetic, but it protects the walls and makes them easier to keep clean.  Replacing worn carpets, repairing or replacing flooring, fixing leaky faucets and drains, updating old appliances and light fixtures, etc.

We had a leaky drain that could've caused a lot
of damage had I not repaired it right away

I try to maintain my house on a regular basis.  I fix leaks and repair broken items as quickly as possible to mitigate any damage that may occur.  If you fix things right away you will avoid a larger and much more expensive repair down the road.

I opted to reface and repaint our cabinets rather than  to invest in new ones

Whenever you make repairs and improvements to your home I suggest you only do what will truly be a marketable improvement and appeal to the masses.  I carefully consider what I am going to do before I begin a project.  One important thing I try to do is make sure I don't over improve my home meaning I don't want to invest more into my home it is worth.  I consider the neighborhood I live in and the market value of my home and scale it to fit within those parameters.  And since I know I will one day sell my home I don't want my improvements to be too personal that they wouldn't be appreciated by others.  I want my home to be desirable when I put it on the market.


My home is my largest investment so I need to take really good care of it.  If I take good care of it I know my efforts will pay off in the long run making all my hard work and all those mortgage payments worth it in the end.  And in the meantime I get to enjoy living in a very nice home.


4 comments:

  1. Agree! I had many (and even in our new construction, some snuck in) things in my old house I truly despised, but I wanted to LOVE my home. So, I treated every bit of it with care, even the things that weren't to my liking. I tend to be taste neutral in things like flooring, cabinets, fixtures and walls as well. It's cheaper and makes more sense to personalize with quilts and rugs. Our homes are our biggest investment, both financially and emotionally, and I want to take good care of mine. If I see a problem, I address it immediately. At the very least, I keep things clean. I have a kid who doesn't quite see the point, and is a bit cavalier about how he treats his space/belongings, and let me tell you, that's very frustrating--I think he might be in for a bit of a rude wake up call when he leaves the nest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I are totally on the same page. And as good my girls are they don't have the same feelings about my home and my things either. Yes, very frustrating. Some day they'll get it though. When it is their home it will matter. In the meantime we just get to stay frustrated. ;0)

      Delete
  2. You really work hard at maintaining your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like it is never ending at times, but worth it in the end.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...