Wednesday, May 13, 2020

A New Pressure Canner



As some of you may have guessed I got a new electric pressure canner.  And I love it!


This is a 13 quart NuWave multi function electric pressure cooker and for the money it is a very nice unit.  It was listed on Amazon for $149.99 + free shipping.  Not bad at all.  This thing is huge and holds up to nine pint jars at one time.  Perfect!  I couldn't be happier.


So far I've canned quite a bit in the past week since it arrived - pork verde, chili, pasta sauce, turkey soup and very soon I plan to do salsa.  I have plenty of other things on my list too.


On Sunday morning the youngest and I went to the thrift store and found a bunch of canning jars with price tags that just happened to be the color of the day and therefore 75% OFF.  Most of the jars I purchased were only 12¢ and 17¢ each.  I picked up a couple quart jars as well as a very vintage half gallon jar to add to my collection.  The quarts are to store our dehydrated foods and the half gallon will be perfect for rice, beans or pasta.  I was very happy with my finds.


I have to say thank you to the reader who encouraged me to bite the bullet and get the canner.  She said I wouldn't be sorry and she is absolutely right about that.  I'm super happy with it and excited to not only can some more, but to also try out some of the other features it has.  It even bakes and it came with a nice big cookbook too.  I'll keep you posted as I learn more about my cooker.

I just love it!

Have any of you got big plans for canning this year?  What are some of the things you are planning to put up and preserve?



18 comments:

  1. Thank you for this info. I’ve only canned jelly and peppers but I’m very interested in doing “real” canning

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is this pressure canner! I may have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! This is what I use to pressure can: https://www.amazon.com/Presto-01781-23-Quart-Pressure-Canner/dp/B0000BYCFUs
    I bought it long before the pressure cooker/Instant pot craze. As I have (and always will have) gas cooktops, it works great for my needs. I have no desire to have an Instant pot--seems an awful lot of work/time.
    Anyway..
    I pressure can everything in a quart jar, because pressure canning quarts is quicker than using a hot water bath, as you use such a smaller amount of water.
    I love to can green beans (I prefer canned to frozen or even fresh) applesauce, and salsa. I also have a great recipe for home canned tomato soup.
    I make all sorts of jams, and one year, with an abundance of ugly apples falling all over our property, I even canned homemade apple pie filling. The directions said to use Clear Jel as a thickener, but I only used flour--clear jel is modified corn starch. It's recommended because will hold up to the repeated heating, but I took my chances with flour, and had no issues. (By hold up, I mean still work as a thickener, not that it will be unsafe for eating.)
    Happy canning! It's one of my favorite activities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel so good after I can a big batch of something. :o)

      Delete
  4. When you can, do you set the pot digitally and then can forget it? Or do you need to stay close by and monitor it?? When I can, I sit by my pressure cooker to watch the gauge closely. Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both. I set it digitally, but I keep my eye on it. I'm not that comfortable yet. I would never leave the house with it running. That's for sure.

      Delete
  5. I can with water bath: jam and syrup both low sugar (we have a wonderful blackberry patch), salsa, tomato sauce, salsa verde....high acid stuff.

    Congrats into your foray of additional food prepper stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle! I'm jealous of your blackberry patch.

      Delete
  6. How well would this work for higher altitudes? (We live now at 6500 ft.) I used to water-bath can, but you'd have to let it go for at least an hour. And that was for acidic veggies like tomatoes. I wouldn't have dared with meat...

    Found this, and thought of you.
    https://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/simple-banana-oatmeal-cookies.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if this is rated for higher altitudes or not. I know that can be an issue.

      Thanks for the link! ;)

      Delete
  7. I went for it and ordered the digital canner. It looks amazing to me. I can't wait to try it. Again, thank you!

    FYI: for higher altitudes you up your pressure by a pound for every 1,000 feet.

    https://www.freshpreserving.com/adjust-high-altitude-canning

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAHOO! You bought the canner! I claim credit for telling you to get it. It is so exciting to have someone follow my advice (and if you were really listening to someone else, don't tell me. Let me bask in the glory of finally having someone listen to me. Not that everyone else ignores me but sometimes they do! Perhaps if I didn't dance around singing "I told you so" they might listen more.)
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. You just bask away my dear. I just love this canner!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...