Monday, January 20, 2014

Last Week’s Thrifty Moves

My kitty brought me a new mouse for my laptop.
Sunday morning I went through a big stack of coupon circulars a friend of mine had saved for me.  I clipped quite a few that I will be able to use on future shopping trips.

I mended a tear in my daughter's favorite dress.

I used clear packing tape to patch a tear in our vinyl zipper bag that we store our sheets in.

A single serving of leftover chili became
Chili Cheese Omelets for three for Sunday breakfast.
I took mail to the post office in our corner grocery store and dropped it off.  While I was there I picked up a gallon of whole milk on sale for $1.77 and a bunch of green onions.


With the green onions I changed gears a little bit with our menu plan.  I had some bacon I needed to use up so I diced it and fried it up so I could use it to make a batch of fried rice with.  We enjoyed that along with a big garden salad for our supper Monday night.

Later in the week I received another stack of coupons from my friend. J  Thank you very much!



I did my big monthly grocery shopping on Tuesday.  I filled up five bags for less than $50.  I have been having a serious craving for pot roast and Fred Meyer had them on sale.  I bought the biggest one they had.

I went to Walgreens, located right next to Fred Meyer, and bought some gift items on sale, gum and candy, for ridiculously low prices for my girls and a few friends for Valentine's Day and Easter.  I spent less than $8.  I love having a jumpstart on holiday gifts.

I made homemade salad dressing.  So delicious!

On the way home from work I stopped at Walmart and used the small amount I had left on my last gift card to purchase a box of half gallon canning jars.  I was super excited to find that they were a box of six instead of a box of four like I had seen at another store.  Although these were more money (only by $2!) for the six jars, by the time I used my gift card I only had to pay $6.43 out of pocket.



I dropped off a bag of clothing and some desk organizing items at Goodwill.

I opened my big case of toilet paper my friend picked up at Costco for me.  I put two 9 roll packages away in the storage area underneath our bathroom sink.  The remainder of the case is now tucked into the back of the trunk of my car for longer term storage.  I wrote the date on it because I am curious just how long that TP really lasts us.  I figured six months but now I'll know for sure.

I listed several more items to sell on eBay.

We borrowed a movie from a friend and enjoyed a Family Movie Nite on Saturday complete with freshly popped popcorn drizzled with real butter, of course.


What thrifty things did you do last week to save money?

4 comments:

  1. I have some of those half gallon jars and they are so useful- I have beans, rice, dry milk, crackers, who knows what all. You will enjoy them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. I am enjoying them already! I put milk in three and rice in another.

      Delete
  2. Ok, for starters that omelette looks so good!
    There was nothing frugal about last week. My husband had the week off so we spent $ on gas and ate out one day. I found a steal of a deal on a beautiful cabinet about an hour from where I live. As we had taken my husbands car, and had to pick my daughter up from school that day, the cabinet would not fit. No problem, thought I. I paid, and said I would be back the next day knowing it would fit in my car with the back seats down. Drove the hour back to the store to find out it literally was an inch too long!!!! Okay, it was crazy cold out, so just tying the trunk closed was not an option as the wind would blow through my car and freeze us. So I told the lady I would be back and drove back home. Called my dad who lives a half hour from us and asked it he would drive me to pick it up. My dad is the best and said he would come right away and drive me there. It fit no problem(why didn't I call him first) in his SUV. I gave him $$ for gas and bought him coffee and a muffin(I offered to buy lunch, but he declined). Soooo, long story short, my steal of a deal primitive cabinet was not such a great deal once gas, coffee(my husband and I had to have coffee both days too :)) and muffins were taken into account. Still, I loved spending that time with my husband and my father, and I LOVE the cabinet. Still, moral of the story, do not buy anything without measuring first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it Theresa! Because we've all had moments like that. But the best part is you got to spend time with Dad and Hubby. That in itself is priceless. Enjoy your new cabinet. Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...