Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


I was blessed with a nasty and tenacious migraine that dogged me throughout the week alternating between both sides of my head so my thrifty moves were pretty much hit and miss.  I got a brief reprieve on Wednesday and then it was back with a vengeance on Thursday.  It's gone now, thankfully.  Do any of you get migraines?  If so, I totally feel for you.  No fun!

It rained every single day last week so I didn't have to water anything except the pots on the porch.

A friend of mine gave me a nice stack of coupons she saved for me out of her Sunday paper.


I went to the feed store and picked up a 50# bag of layer pellets for the chickens.

I kept grocery shopping to a minimum.  My goal was to pay rock bottom prices for everything I bought and only get what I needed.  We were out of mayonnaise and on our last jar so it was perfect timing that both Fred Meyer and Albertson's had it on sale.  I had three 50¢ coupons too so I bought three jars.  I also bought two bottles of salad dressing for 99¢ each, hotdogs for 99¢, buns for 88¢, a gallon of milk $1.99, a container of sour cream $1.25 less a 40¢ coupon, a container of parmesan for $1.99 less a 40¢ coupon and three boxes of Popsicle treats on sale for 10/$10 and I had a coupon for $3.00 off three which made them free.

Sunday I had ordered the dresser for my bedroom off of eBay with free shipping.  Our final piece of furniture! It arrived on Thursday and my girls helped me get it put together and set it in place.  Saturday morning I emptied out the plastic bins and filled it up with all of my fabrics.

I brought some shelves and brackets in from the garage and reinstalled them on the wall above my sewing table.  I'll post more about this project a little later.


The girls and I watched several Martin Yan chinese cooking shows on Youtube for free.  We also watched two movies on Amazon with our Prime membership.

I cleared out the older veggies in our crisper drawer and ended up making our own version of Mongolian BBQ.  It was really good.

I composted coffee grounds, tea bags, eggs shells and onions skins.  We fed our kitchen scraps to the chickens.


While pulling weeds I picked dandelion greens and gave them to the chickens.

I worked a little bit on the baby afghan.

How thrifty were you last week?



6 comments:

  1. I use to get migraines when I was in my teens but I don't have them much anymore. My heart feels for you. It has been raining so much here in Kansas and the temperatures are cooler than normal and I ran out of the hot chocolate mix I made using your recipe. So I mixed up another batch of your recipe. I used the French Vanilla dairy creamer from the Dollar General Store this time and I have to tell you I REALLY like it with the French Vanilla. Thank you again for sharing the recipe. I have been enjoying a cup in the mornings on my front porch while it rains. Hope you have a great week.
    Paula in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, now I'm going to have to get some of that creamer and give it a try. Sounds wonderful. My head is doing much better, thanks. I actually feel like myself once again. :)

      Delete
  2. I 've gotten migraines since I was in high school - 32 years now. They come every month for approx. 4 or 5 days straight when I'm premenstrual, fun x fun. I've had an MRI to rule out anything bad. Usually Excedrin Migraine will help, but I've built up such a high tolerance for every other medicine that they don't work anymore.

    I am a new reader and commenter to your blog. Your posts are great and I find a lot of frugal inspiration from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you. Thanks for commenting. I was able to get some relief from Excedrin Migraine. It helps take the edge off a bit. But the nausea is terrible. I usually get one a month for a few days but this one didn't want to leave for awhile. Gone now thankfully. :) Take care!

      Delete
  3. The herb Feverfew has cured migraine headaches for three of my friends. Take one pill twice a day for a while. It does not work like a pain killer. You have to take it for a while for it to work.
    Jeannie
    GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of that before. Thank you for telling me about it. Herbal remedies are much better that pharmaceuticals in my opinion.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...