Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Let's Talk About Rice!


Why? Well, why not?

We eat a lot of rice in this house.  Mostly long grain white rice.  With two Chinese children that probably makes a lot of sense, but honestly rice has always been a mainstay in this house from day one.  We love it.

Not only is it great tasting but very versatile.  You can pair it up with anything.  Serve it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  Even make dessert.  Rice pudding anyone?

Rice is one of the least expensive starches out there.  You can buy a huge 25 pound bag for less than $15 and it stores forever.  There is a reason it is on the doomsday prepper's list.

Rice Pilaf

A single cup of rice makes four servings so a little goes a long way.  I often make a double batch and store the leftovers in the refrigerator.  It easily reheats in the microwave and tastes every bit as good as the day you made it.  I don't recommend freezing cooked rich, however as it changes the texture quite a bit, which I find a rather unpleasant.

Rice is super easy to prepare and all you need is a pan with a lid.  Oh, and a spoon is handy too.  No fancy appliances necessary.  If you've ever struggled to cook rice perfectly every time then struggle no more.  Head over to this post and check out my tried and true method.  It never fails me.

How much rice to you eat?  Is it one of the items you stock in your pantry?

Varieties of rice.




3 comments:

  1. We love it! I finally bought an inexpensive rice cooker and we put it to good use. My daughter loves the leftover rice. She reheats it, adds peanuts and soy sauce and it happy, happy, happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too long ago, when I was really struggling, rice was one of few foods I could readily afford. I prepared a lot of meals with brown rice and still do. Little One loves it and gobbles it down.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on rice.
    Vanessa B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of those staples I rely on too when finances are a little thin.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...