Monday, July 13, 2015

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


Remember how I got all those school clothes for my kids?  Well this time it was Mama's turn! 

I went online to JCPenney.com and ordered six short sleeved and sleeveless tops from their "clearance rack".  Three are Liz Claiborne and three are Worthington.  At checkout I received an additional 25% off and because I opted to pick up my order at the store the shipping is free.  With sales tax my order came to a whopping $46.84 - 2 for $5.99 each, 3 for $7.49 each and 1 for $9.74.  I really needed the tops as I am down to four right now that I'm rotating each week and I noticed they are starting to show wear.

I clipped six online coupons from Coupons.com.  I read the ads online Sunday and Wednesday and mapped out my grocery list for the week.


We got a lovely reprieve from the hot weather and on Wednesday a storm rolled in and dumped a bunch of rain.  A real gulley washer!  I turned off the A/C units and opened all the doors and windows to let in the fresh cool air.  It was heavenly, to say the least and boy did it smell good.

It rained again on Thursday for quite awhile.  Everything was good and saturated Friday morning.  Then on Saturday evening we got drench again.  I watered Monday morning and then didn't have to water anything for the rest of the week!

Sunday I filled out a store survey to earn an additional 50 fuel points.  I then stopped after work on Wednesday and filled my tank and because of those added points I had enough to save an extra 10¢ a gallon.

I went to Albertson's to pick up milk and dish soap on sale.  I used coupons and ended up with two large bottles of Dawn dish soap for $1.69 each.  I also redeemed a coupon for a free container of ice cream.  Yum!


I was seriously on a clean out the fridge and used it up kick this week.  Most of the breakfasts and lunches I took to work were a hodge podge of leftovers I finished up.  I used up the last of a bottle of barbecue sauce to make pulled pork for sandwiches, the last of a bottle of mustard and jar of dill pickles went in a potato salad I made, several odds and ends of a variety of cheeses went into a batch of macaroni & cheese for supper and the girls were kind en0ugh to finish up a bucket of vanilla ice cream and the rest of the homemade chocolate syrup.

I turned a bottle of lotion upside down and managed to get that finished up.

I gave our kitchen scraps to our chickens, which always makes them happy.  I composted coffee grounds, tea bags, egg shells and onion skins.

I was super excited to see our sewer bill has gone down.  Yaaaay!

I washed out two Ziploc bags to reuse.

While working around the house Saturday I watched two NASCAR races on YouTube.  I'm so glad NASCAR puts those up for me to watch.

I trimmed my bangs.


I re-opened my Etsy store and listed five crib size baby afghans I had made.  Hopefully they will sell.

My girls received another bag of clothes from our family friend.  She gave them several tops, a pair of shorts, and several pair of shoes in like new condition, including a really nice pair of Birkenstocks.  The girls were thrilled.

How thrifty were you last week?


2 comments:

  1. Hi! I've followed your blog for awhile, really enjoy all your tips and your sweet family. I must admit I have chicken envy and have been interested in how that is going. I live in Canada and a fellow Canadian blogger that I follow has chickens too. She posted about an innovative chicken "air conditioner" today, thought you might be interested so I'm sending you a link to her site. Cheers! Kate http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/diy-mini-air-conditioner/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! So nice to hear from you and I will definitely check out this blog. Thank you for sharing. I just love my chickens to death. They are so much fun and I spoil them rotten. I am anxious for them to start laying eggs. Should happen in the next month. They are so sweet.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...