Monday, March 21, 2016

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


Knowing that Thursday was going to be a busy one for us we celebrated St. Patrick's Day early with a traditional corned beef dinner on Sunday night.  I put a roast in the slow cooker first thing Sunday morning and allowed it to cook on high all day.  I added baby carrots and red potatoes later in the day.  Instead of steamed cabbage, which I love, we made coleslaw instead, because that is what we already had. The girls like that better anyway.

Sunday afternoon I took a coupon a friend gave me to JoAnns Fabrics and used it to buy cotton quilt batting that was on sale and a bag of polyfil.  The coupon gave me an extra 25% off my total and I had a little bit left on a gift card.  My final total was under $20.  Not too shabby.


I used up the last of the quilt batting and polyfil I had leftover from all those pillows I made at Christmas.  I pieced the scraps of batting together and had just enough to line another throw pillow I made.  I'll post more about that tomorrow.


I went through my sewing stash and worked on some more handcrafted projects.  I am having way too much fun.  J I bid on and won some items from eBay.  A couple milk glass lamps, a 100% cotton blanket (brand new and still in the package), a beautiful white vintage bedspread and a darling stenciled fabric panel.  I plan to make a quilt out of the panel and I am super excited about it.  I also have plans for the lamps.  As I finish these projects I'll give you all the updates.


I picked up another set of blue 100% cotton sheets at Fred Meyer that were on sale plus I had a coupon for an additional 10% OFF.  I plan to spruce them up like I did the white ones I embellished.

Friday I stopped in a few thrift stores on the way home from work and found a cute lampshade for $1.99, another one for $1.59.  They both will need to be cleaned and I have plans to rework them a bit as well.

My $1.99 lampshade

The chickies have kicked egg production into high gear.  We fed them our kitchen scraps and they rewarded us in kind with 14 lovely eggs.  I sold a dozen this week.   $3 toward their next feed purchase.  Good job ladies.

A friend of mine gave me a trash bag full of leather shoes, brand new, that she didn't want.  Several pair are perfect for work.  What a blessing!

I made a pint of "Ranch" salad dressing.

I composted coffee grounds, tea bags, egg shells and veggie trimmings the hens couldn't eat.

I washed out a couple of Ziploc bags to reuse and added water to the dish soap bottle so I could use up every last bit.

How thrifty was your week?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...