Friday, July 14, 2017

Personal Care While Camping


Okay ladies, I'm venturing into territory here I normally wouldn't but I think it's kind of important.  Especially if you enjoy camping, but find it kind of uncomfortable during a certain time of the month or for extended periods of time.

If you dry camp there won't be much, if anything, in the way of amenities depending on where you happen to be.  Most campgrounds have vault toilets while dispersed campgrounds have nothing.  You are either providing your own or crouching behind a bush.  And shower facilities, well you can pretty much forget about that notion.


I'm fine for a couple of days but any longer than that and I'm dreaming about a hot shower and fantasizing about bubble baths.  I admit it, I like to be clean as I'm sure you do too.  Baby wipes are great, but sometimes not quite enough.  So what is a girl to do?

Make yourself a peri-kit (harkening back to my days in the medical field here) to take with you.  A peri bottle is a soft sided bottle with a tip that you fill with water and squeeze to dispense it onto your girlie parts.  Most of you who have had babies will most likely recall using one of these.  You can get them at medical supply stores or online.  Or you can make your own.


I like the idea of making my own because you can make it any size you want.  An empty shampoo or conditioner bottle, all cleaned out, works perfectly and holds up to a quart of water.  Pair that with a dozen paper towels you've folded into quarters and a small bottle of mild liquid soap or feminine wash and you are good to go.  It's that simple.

Get yourself a little bag or you can even make one to keep everything in.  Add extra pads or tampons too.  A few empty ziploc bags tucked inside will be handy to put your trash inside for discreet disposal.


To use your kit fill the bottle with lukewarm water (remember it's a sensitive area down there so don't get it to hot), grab the rest of your stuff and head off to wherever you have some privacy.  The vault toilet, a luggable loo in a tent, or a large bush, wherever you are comfortable.  Wet one of the towels and put a little dollop of soap on it.  Then squirt some water on your nether regions and use the soapy towel to wash.  Rinse yourself off and use another towel to dry.  All done.

It is amazing what that little wash up will do for your psyche.  Puts a little spring in your step, it does.  Put on some clean undies and you're ready for the fancy dress ball, I tell ya.

Oh, and watch for bears.



5 comments:

  1. Great suggestions! I'm past that "time of the month" stage of my life but boy would this have come in handy then. ;) I do like to stay though and use baby wipes when we go camping because I cannot stand not being clean. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie. I'm moving past that stage myself (yipeee!) still, nothing beats soap and water. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice info. I am not into roughing it but should I ever find myself needing this it is good info to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much for roughing it anymore either. You may not know this, but I have a motorhome! LOL ;)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...