Wednesday, February 7, 2018

February Grocery Haul


I was super excited to get back to grocery shopping after nearly a month.  It got a little dicey there at the end when we began to run out of fresh stuff like milk, eggs and produce.  We were down to the last two eggs and our hens kicked in and started doing their part, now that the weather has warmed up and the days are getting longer.  Won't be too much longer and they'll be back to full production.

It was getting a little thin

I was really disappointed when the ads came out last week.  I'd been making my shopping list and pretty much nothing on it was on sale.  Go figure.  So I scaled back on the list and went shopping with the idea of picking up fresh produce, eggs and milk.  Fortunately I did a little better than expected.

Trader Joe's

I went to Trader Joe's first because I love their wine produce section and I loaded up spending $50 on mostly produce, some ground turkey and their frozen turkey burger patties that we really enjoy.  I picked up milk and a dozen eggs too and enjoyed a complimentary cup of coffee and a cookie while I shopped.  Love that place.

Albertson's

On the way home I stopped at Albertson's for buns (for the turkey burgers and hotdogs I have in the freezer) and brats on sale for $2.77 a package.  I also grabbed a bag of tortilla chips for the girls.  I know they love them and they haven't asked for anything lately and I wanted them to have a treat.

A full crisper drawer

Plenty of fresh fruit
Friday I stopped off at Fred Meyer on my way home from work to pick up sirloin steakx they had on sale ($2.97/lb) as well as a bag of kitty litter.  I also had three freebie items loaded onto my card that I wanted to get before the offers expired.

Friday Freebies - cheddar popcorn, bottled water & yogurt

My free items were two containers of greek yogurt, a bottle of water and a bag of organic white cheddar popcorn.

My unexpected Fred Meyer haul

While I was there I lucked out and found a good selection of their markdown items, all very much usable.

Great buys on ground pork and chicken sausage

Sirloin steaks $2.97 a pound

As I was in the meat department to pick up the steaks I happened upon breakfast sausage link on sale and I had a coupon too.  The best part though was the markdown meat I found.  I picked up two packages of ground pork and three packages of Italian style chicken sausage.

Whole wheat hamburger buns

Two loaves of rye bread and one of whole wheat - 99¢ each
Even though I had just bought hamburger buns I picked up another one at 69¢ and put it in the freezer.  I also picked up two loaves of my favorite dill rye bread for 99¢ a loaf and a salad kit for $1.49.  I grabbed a bag of their coleslaw mix to add to the salad kit since they give you more dressing than you need and my girls love these salads so the bigger the better.  


I found more yogurt, perfect for my daughter's lunches, marked down to 19¢ each!  I treated myself to some Noosa that was on sale.  It is kind of expensive, but very good and makes a wonderful dessert.

I found a few more items on sale that were also on my list.  I notice with Fred Meyer not everything on sale in the store makes it into their ad so you have to go and look.  And of course hunting down markdown items, to me, is just plain fun.  The clerk was even excited for me about my finds.  I spent just under $50 and I'm pretty happy with all that I found on my two outings.

Sirloin steak with garlic mashed potatoes and chopped salad

I still have a third of my budget left to keep us in milk and fresh produce and plenty of good stuff in the house to make some fabulous meals.  I'm so happy!


14 comments:

  1. I really wish we had a Trader Joes here. Their produce looks wonderful. You did great on your shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum! You found some great bargains!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Trader Joe's wine - I mean produce - section too!
    You got some fantastic deals :)

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great bargains!!! Smart shopping, enjoy, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make shopping monthly sound like a fun and creative challenge! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am seriously impressed with all those marked down items you found!!! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This school year has found me driving past a Fred Meyer family supermarket at least twice/week in the morning. More often than not, I will stop by to look for those markdown stickers! I never know what I will find--sometimes nothing, sometimes bags worth of great deals. I find it thrilling.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...