Friday, March 23, 2018

What Is She Doing Now?



Wait a minute?!  I thought she swore off gardening.  Black thumb and all that?  What is she doing?  I know, I know.  I just don't like giving up.  So yes, once again I am going to give it a try and we'll just see what happens.


A couple weeks ago I sat on my kitchen floor with my bucket full of gardening supplies and went through everything I had.  I have a lot of seeds as well as the seed starting containers so I figured why the heck not.  I picked up a bag of potting mix at Fred Meyer, got out my gardening books and decided to give it another go.

Are you crazy?

I planted seeds that are good to start 8 weeks ahead - two kinds of tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, two kinds of bell peppers, jalapenos and a variety of flowers.  In a couple more weeks I'll plant the other stuff that is good to start 4 weeks ahead - cantelope, watermelon, squash, pumpkins, cucumbers.


I'll sow lettuce, radishes, beets, carrots, green onions, zucchini, beans and peas directly into the ground.  I also want to do some herbs.


I've dug out the soaker hoses, the garden hoses, and my shovel.  I've got some compost that is ready and leftover leaf mulch.  I'll get some soil and peat moss at the store to add to the beds and get working on those in the next few weeks.  I also plan to make some chicken wire screens to put at the back of the boxes for the beans and peas to climb.


I'm not making any promises that my efforts will amount to much and I'm not going to stress about it either.  Maybe I'll surprise myself and we'll actually grow a garden this year.

I'm also thinking one of those solar powered screech owls to keep the squirrels away might be a good idea too.  Hmmmm.



12 comments:

  1. I think your idea of a no-stress garden is great! And what a coincidence--I decided this week that I am going to plant some things just for the fun of it. Like you, I am not going to stress about it; I'm just going to put it in the ground or in pots and see what happens. The chipmunks may well get it all, but we'll see. I am planting rhubarb, garlic, onions, and shallots, and a few potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be your year... I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year, I didn’t plant anything, either. I joined a CSA and had a farmer grow food for me. This year, after my husband’d been laid off pretty much since Christmas, and the farmer raised her prices, I think i’ll try to grow a few things in pots. We’re a zone 4/5. I’ve had a terrible time growing anything from seed. I hate to buy plants that aren’t organic or heirloom, which is just about all that’s sold here. (In the middle of nowhere) I’ll commiserate with you. I’ll bet you do fine, though.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see how we do Debbie. Last year the potting soil I bought got moldy and all my starts died. I've never had that happen before. This year I bought a good brand. So far, so good.

      Delete
  4. You can do this I am rooting for you. Sorry about the pun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I am doing it differently and stress about it. As always I start my seeds early but only one tiny tomato seed has sprouted. Nothing else. It is driving me crazy! Heat mat, grow light, even put them on top of the refrigerator, nothing.

    I keep walking by picking up a magnifying glass to look. Hopefully this is not a sign how the year will go.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear lord! You are going to drive yourself nuts! Ha, ha. I had a year like that once. Chucked the whole thing, bought new seeds and tried again. Much better results.

      Delete
    2. I love buying new seeds! I just got an email there are some waiting in my mailbox!!!!!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...