Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Do What You Can



In all aspects of my life I am doing the very best I can with what I have to work with.  I am exceedingly grateful for my resourceful and hard working nature.  From an early age I was blessed in that both my parents and my grandparents instilled in me a strong work ethic and showed me that with hard work anything is possible.  I watched, I learned, I helped and participated and as a result I've honed a good many skills and attributes.  I am very fortunate.


It is never too late to learn something, pick up a new skill, start a new task, set a goal and accomplish it, take a different path or try something new.  Whatever you need to do to improve your circumstances and make your life better, do it.  There is no better time than right now.


Our lives have been a bit unsettled lately and we've all endured a good many changes.  We are facing a time that is uncertain and different than anything we have ever experienced before.  I am not one who is comfortable to sit around and wait to see what will happen.  I prefer to get busy and get prepared.  I'd much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  I have always been that way.


During the recession that began in 2007 many lost their jobs, myself included, but rather than sit collecting unemployment and wait for things to get better I worked.  I did collect unemployment and while I did I searched for another job, I sold things I no longer wanted or needed, I broadened my home business as a bookkeeper and tax preparer taking on more clients and I enhanced my home based graphic design business to include resume packages so people could job hunt.  While a lot of people lost their homes I was able to easily hang onto mine because I was willing to do whatever it took to make sure I did.  We weathered that storm and we will weather this one too.


On Friday the 13th of March when it seemed COVID-19 was definitely going to have a huge impact on our life I encouraged both of my girls to head down to our neighborhood grocery store and apply for a job.  They needed help and my girls were more than willing to lend a hand.  I myself had decided to join them if for any reason my current job was furloughed.  When it comes to keeping a roof over our heads and food in our stomachs I'm willing to do whatever it takes.


I know we are not out of the woods yet, not by a long shot.  As things unfold there will be much change and bumpy roads still ahead of us.  Every day I choose to do something.  All I can do is the best that I can with what I have to work with.  That is all any of us can do.


8 comments:

  1. Great post. Very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. When it gets tough, you may have to go without a few things ('temporarily,' you can tell yourself), or take a job you don't normally do. (ditto)

    I remind myself that God doesn't expect me to be perfect -- He's the only one that can accomplish that. He just expects me to try my best. I believe that commitment is honored.

    Good for you and your girls!

    P.S. Now off to the thrift shop and the library's used book sale room, to see what's drifted in during the shutdown...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy. And you are totally right about perfection.

      P.S. Good for you. Have fun!

      Delete
  3. I agree so much with the statement that you would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. People say to borrow it from your neighbor, friend, or relative rather than buy it. Nope, not borrowing things since they can then borrow yours. Nothing ever comes back or comes back damaged.

    Skills are so important to acquire! It is easy to get tools, but skills must be honed.

    You have done well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. What is that old saying? Neither a borrower nor a lender be. Not within my comfort zone either.

      Delete
  4. I wish you had a world wide platform and more people would follow your lead. It takes hard work to keep up but so many people don’t seem to want to do that.

    We are a family that have also always rolled up our sleeves and got to work, and it wasn’t always work we wanted to do but we did it anyway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard work is good for us and we reap many benefits from our efforts. :0)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...