Tuesday, August 4, 2020

It's Not Too Late to GYST In 2020


In spite of this crazy year we are having I have managed to make a boatload of progress in my endeavor to get my shit together this year.  I know that I am very fortunate and blessed to be in the position that I currently find myself.  I am truly, truly grateful for that.

 


When the pandemic hit us back in March I was fearful of what might happen and of losing all of the progress I was making up to that point.  However, I've been staying the course and persevering.  All the while we are literally living like paupers having cut all of our expenses to the bare bone.  I've had a lot of practice living like that so for me it comes pretty easy.  For others I know it can be a struggle, especially when it is suddenly forced upon them.

 


I've always found that when faced with hard economical times it is best practice to cut my expenses back as much as I can and stop spending.  When I do spend I spend the very least amount I can get away with.  And I save every dime I can.  Even when I was on unemployment in the past I still figured out ways to save.

 


This year, same as last year and the years before, I've taken advantage of every opportunity that has been offered to earn extra money over and above my regular paycheck.  And I'm not too proud to take a job that some might think is beneath me.  I've been selling things I no longer need or have too many of as well.  Every little bit adds up and it really helps.

 


In mid March I paid off my car because even though I had a 0% no interest auto loan I didn't need that money going out each month.  When my stimulus check arrived in April I put it into my emergency fund.  At the end of May I refinanced my house, taking advantage of the new lower interest rates which drastically reduced my monthly payment.  Doing this allowed me to pay off all of my debt in July and secured my home so I would be able to better stay afloat should I find myself without a job.  One never knows.

 



I have been steadily using my overtime pay exclusively for stockpiling food and household essentials.  We started a prepper pantry and I've been dehydrating, canning and freezing items I find on sale and markdown.  I load up digital coupons and clip paper ones to shave off even more from my total bill each time I shop.  We are only purchasing clothing to replace what we need at this time.  We don't eat out or do take out.  Our one vacation was a camp trip using our regular fuel budget to buy gas, food from our pantry and camp equipment we already had.

 


I'm still completing projects around the house.  Using up the things we already have in our garage and supplementing those we don't with gift card purchases.  When I'm out of money I stop until I can acquire another gift card.  My girls gave me one for Father's Day so I can get more supplies when I need them.  Maybe, if I'm lucky, I will get another gift card for my birthday or have enough credit card rewards poinst to go toward another one.  Somehow I can always figure out a way.

 


While everyone's situation is different and I know many people have experienced a job loss or may even be facing eviction or foreclosure at this point I hope I am able with these posts I write to share enough of what I am doing to help out in some small way.  To inspire someone to dig down deep and figure things out and to think outside the box.  To really figure out a way to make it work.  And as always, when someone emails me with a question or asks for advice I am always happy to help out if I can.

 


It is not too late.  We just have to persevere and keep on trucking.

 

 


16 comments:

  1. Thank you for the inspiration! And congrats on all the progress you've made!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brooke. Every day we get to begin again. :o)

      Delete
  2. I sure appreciated this article. It gives me courage to keep trying. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing an amazing job of not only setting goals but nailing them down! Your generosity in sharing your story to help others is admirable.

    Keep on keepin' on! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You paid off all your debts and your house last month? Awesome, that's a great achievement! It's welcome peace of mind in a time like this.

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the house yet but I did refi at a much lower interest rate which has made a huge difference.

      Delete
  5. Like you, I am grateful not to be financially impacted by Covid 19. But I got in a rut where I was buying stuff just to be buying it. Over the last couple of months, I have righted the ship. I am only buying what I need. And I love love looking at my credit card balance and my bank statement again.

    Like you said, you really don't know when your circumstances can change.

    Love your posts. You really inspire me to get up and do more for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job Connie for recognizing and jumping on it before it became a big problem. I am super impressed!

      Delete
  6. Everything you do is so inspirational. I do admire you and appreciate all you do for yourself and your girls. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very kind of you to say. Thank you very much.

      Delete
  7. Your posts help me to keep going in my journey to be debt free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!! I love to hear that. It is a great journey. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great post. I am the spender in the house and it's so hard to say no to myself. And it's not expensive stuff, it''s those little things that add up. But this whole pandemic has shown me I need to tighten up. If you can do it so can I.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...