Thursday, March 10, 2022

Getting Caught With Your Pants Down


Prior to the start of the pandemic I was pretty good at keeping a well stocked pantry and quite a bit in our chest freezer in our garage.  I would stock up extra in time for winter so I wouldn't need to shop if the weather was bad and I wouldn't need much when I did shop.  With higher heat bills it was nice to cut back on our grocery budget to help offset that expense.

 


No one wants to get caught unprepared, but to be honest, I was completely unprepared when the panic shopping started on March 13th 2020.  I had decided at the end of 2019 to cut back and only shop for what we needed and not over shop anymore.  However, we were almost out of toilet paper and I had a digital coupon to pick up a 36ct package on sale.  The only problem was every single roll of toilet paper had already been purchased and the shelves were completely empty.  




As I stood and looked around at the long lines of people with carts heaped to overflowing I was shocked.  I'd never experienced anything like that before.  And pushing, shoving and arguing with total strangers was mind boggling.  I left the store telling myself we could cut up a sheet or drip dry, but I was out of there.  It was complete chaos and it was nuts!

 



At the time I never anticipated this situation lasting as long as it has, nor did I expect the snowball effect it created and how that has impacted so many facets of our lives.  Nonetheless, my gut told me then, that what I had witnessed and what I was about to experience would be like nothing I've ever really experienced before.  Within a few short weeks I had made a decision I had never thought I would make, not in a million years.  I became a prepper.  Not being able to go to the store and buy a package of toilet paper wasn't a huge deal, but that experience alone was a lesson.  You just never know.

 



I also believe that if you don't pay attention and learn then you put yourself at risk.  For me, I’m just not willing to risk my family and our wellbeing.  So I've been carefully, methodically and steadily researching, learning and prepping.  I know it is unlikely I can prepare for everything that might happen, but I feel better knowing I've prepared something.

 



Our world is rapidly changing all around us and our tomorrow remains unknown.  While I have no plans to dwell on the "what ifs" what I do choose to do is prepare as best I can for them.  I encourage you, if you haven't already, to do the same.  Put whatever resources you may have toward preparing for your future.  Get some long term food storage in place, add an extra package or two of batteries, get some candles, extra band-aids or Tylenol.  Do what you can with what you have and invest in your future.  Avoid panic shopping.  Become prepared so you don't get caught with your pants down, so to speak.  I feel it is important.

  

14 comments:

  1. This is good. I had kind of stopped preparing towards the “end” of thisCovid thing. But now is not the time to let my guard down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got a good supply of food as well as emergency food that lasts 25 years. The only thing we need to do is update our medical supplies. We've even stock piled some dog and cat food. What used to be my craft room, is now partly for food storage.

    I'm not a prepper either - I still don't consider myself a prepper - I'm just prepared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that. Prepared!
      My craft room has the same issue. :)

      Delete
  3. I totally agree and some of my family and friends were thinking I was crazy for having an extended pantry. They are not thinking that way now. Yesterday in my town the Costco was crazy busy with folks stocking up on the essentials. My friends don't think I am so silly anymore. I have appreciated your prepper series... Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same thing going on. A lot of people don't want to believe it. Now they are wondering if I'm right.... I'm okay if I'm wrong. ;)

      Delete
  4. Do you any particular Prepper sites or YouTube channels or blogs that you like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this little lady https://www.youtube.com/c/shesinherapron
      The mennonites are a great resource as well.

      Delete
  5. I've had family raise an eyebrow at my shelves, but it's never bothered me. When the pandemic hit, I had no need to any panic buying, fortunately. I was at the store that morning, but just to get some extra cat food (we weren't out by any stretch, I was just adding to my stash). As soon as I pulled out of the store parking lot, I could see a giant parade-style line of cars heading in, it looked absolutely nuts. I'd been watching what was going on in Italy and had been adding to my already-substantial stores of food since early January 2020, because I knew it was coming. I'm not quite a prepper, just a make-sure-I-have-what-I-need-on-hand person ever since I had my daughter (who was *not* the kind of kid you wanted to make emergency trips out with!), and I've kept up the habit, so weather and illness and injury (chronic back/hip pain here!) doesn't foil my dinner plans, I always have stuff on hand for a decent meal. But it's the same kind of thought process: have what you need and you won't have to worry, just shift your plans a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want no part of any nonsense. I'm glad I won't need worry.

      Delete
  6. What a great post! Whatever you call it, it's Always good to have 'back-up' prepped plan. Even though it's just 2 of us now at home I try and keep a rotated pantry/freezer items on hand. And I too have excess cat food/litter on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I don't want my furbabies or my featherbabies to go without either. :)

      Delete
  7. I noticed that it looks like you used your Golden Harvest canning lids and am curious to know if you had any problems. I ran out of Ball lids earlier this week while canning meat bought on sale and beans. I picked up some Golden Harvest at Walmart. I've used 21 of them so far and 3 failed. None of the Ball lids I used did. I'm rather disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one fail, but it could've been my fault. So far I'm happy with them.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...