Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Small Home Improvement Project - Grass!

 


Finally!  We have a lawn again.  I was super excited once I got done installing the faux grass I had ordered from Home Depot back in May.  It arrived just in time for the Memorial Day weekend, however so did the rain.  Prior to its arrival however I had to prep the ground which included grading the area to make it flat, smooth and slope in the right direction for water runoff.  I did it all by hand with a hoe and a garden rake over a period of several days while I waited for the grass to arrive.

 

I graded the lawn and got it prepped

And we moved a fence adding a new flowerbed

This past Saturday I got outside and rolled it out on the ground and got it installed.  I used plastic lawn spikes to secure it into place along the edges and down the center.  Then I trimmed it with a utility knife.  I took my time and it was really surprisingly easy.

 


I also finished the new flowerbed

As I've mentioned before we have a lot of shade in our yard which has been problematic with growing grass.  Poor soil has been the other issue as well as our hot dry summers which always burn it up in July and August.  I admit, I'm no landscaper, not at all, but when it comes to lawns I fail heartily.

 

I transplanted some vincas to the back along the fence
I added two new perennials too and a couple bags of bark mulch

It even feels nice to lay on

Faux grass made a lot of sense to me and is something I've wanted to do for a very long time.  Now that I have it I am absolutely thrilled.  I no longer have to fertilize, patch bald spots, mow or water.  Saving time, money and water is the bonus to having this grass which is very popular in Nevada and Arizona.  Plus, it look really nice.  I love it!  Yay!

 

10 comments:

  1. That looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really nice!! You did a great job installing it too. I know you will enjoy your new yard. Won't it be nice to sit outside and listen to the pond and hear the birds. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. You took the words right out of my mouth. ;)

      Delete
  3. It looks nice - I am so tempted - we have a problem area in our front - with tree roots and not even sun to have a nice lawn. Basically it’s green weeds that we mow. I’ll have to check into it. We have hot and dry summers here too, in Shasta co. (California) and these lawns are gaining In popularity due to our never ending water issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleasantly surprised to find the price was comparable to actual sod.

      Delete
  4. God is very good. And your faux grass looks great. We had that in an area between our sidewalk and the side of our house when we moved in and that was nice, I thought. No mowing in an awkward area. However hubby didn't like it so he took it out and I planted some creeping phlox there which looks great. It was nice while it lasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I am really enjoying it. Creeping phlox is a very pretty alternative..

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...