Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Small Home Improvement Project - The 2nd Bedroom - Complete!

 


After completing the demo on the bedroom I took an inventory of supplies I still had out in the garage.  I had quite a few things saved out there knowing this project was on the list to be completed once my daughter moved out and was off to college.  Then I made a list of items I still needed and after shopping around and checking prices I placed an order to Lowes for most of those things.  I wanted to make sure I was really careful with my spending because I didn't have a much of a budget for this project.

 

Oops! Naughty bunny!

On day two I picked up my Lowes order first thing in the morning, then headed home to wash the walls and the ceiling in preparation of paint.  I also used spackle to fill holes in the walls left by nails and wall anchors after I removed some shelves.  Our sweet little bunny had a nibble on the wall near the door so I repaired that as well.

 

My order from Lowes, minus a backordered item

The next day I used trim I already had in the garage that I'd acquired from the FREE WOOD bin near where I used to work.  I had purchased a twelve piece pack of trim from Lowes, but it wasn't quite enough to finish the room and they were short on trim, not to mention the price has shot up on that stuff.  So I needed to get resourceful and fortunately I had quite a few pieces that were very similar I could use in strategic places.

 

Some of the supplies I already had out in the garage

I used one piece, the least similar one, under the wall mounted electric baseboard heater because I knew it wouldn't be easily seen and no one would notice it didn't match.  I then remounted the heater and gave it a coat of white paint to cover up its outdated original color.  I had the paint in the garage so this was a no cost project.  I also gave the phone jack a makeover with that same paint so it would blend into the wall much better.

 

Ready to start installing the new mouldings

On day four I brought up my compound miter saw to cut trim up there and save my knees from multiple trips up and down the stairs.  That proved to be a really good idea.  I then went to work trimming out the door frame and all along the floor.

 

New moulding along the ceiling

I had to wait until my decorative corner pieces arrived before I could trim along the ceiling.  Finally, four days later, they arrived and I was off and running.  By the time I was done my scrap pile was very small.  I didn't waste a thing and had just enough to get the job done.

 

Talk about cutting it close (no pun intended) but, this is my scrap pile
 after I finished installing all the trim.  No waste on this project!

Next up was to caulk all of the trim and let it cure overnight before I painted everything with two coats of pure white paint.  Fortunately I already had one gallon in the garage so I only needed to purchase a second gallon.  Boy has the price of paint gone up!  Along with everything else, I suppose.

 

Hurray for paint!!  Pure White by Behr - Love it!
I always remove the outlet & switch covers as well as drop the light fixture so I get everything

When I picked up the decorative trim pieces I also picked up a gallon of "Oops!" paint to use to seal the floor.  Once all of the walls, the ceiling, trim and the door was painted I did a massive cleanup.  After sweeping the floor I vacuumed it and laid down a nice coat of paint to seal the plywood and keep what drywall mud remained on the floor after scraping entombed.  As I have completed each room in my house I have done this to protect the new carpet and keep the dust and dirt better controlled.  I think it has helped immensely.  The paint I got for the floor was ugly, but it did the job and was only $11.

 

I'm pretty sure the name on the swatch was "baby poop"
I can't imagine why someone would want to return this lovely color to the store - ???


Ready for carpet!

With the room all done I was ready to install the carpet and call this job complete.  I ordered the carpet from Home Depot and installed it myself.  I ordered extra for the closet, but renovating that closet will be a job for another day.  After eleven days of working on this bedroom I was more than ready for a break before taking on another project.

 

I removed the heater from the wall (after shutting off the breaker!) and painted the wall behind it
Then I reinstalled it, masked off the wall and used white spray paint to give it a refresh


The final tally- not too bad!


I didn't have any money set aside to do this room, but because I did so well with my landscaping project, I was able to shuffle some of those funds over to this project.  I got the entire room done for less than $400, which quite honestly blows my mind.  Getting the carpet on sale for half price and installing it myself was a huge help in keeping the cost down.

 

Like the icing on a cake 😋

Ta da!  All done!

Now I get to do the fun stuff.  Decorate!

 

10 comments:

  1. You are amazing!!! So far, the room looks great. I can't wait to see the finishing touches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive! Very interested to know how you laid the carpet yourself. I've always heard that was a job to hire professionals to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to lay carpet with my Dad back in the day so lots of experience there. However, this time around I used residential carpet tiles.

      Delete
  3. Looks awesome!!
    Great job on the trim, paint and carpet! Looks so clean and bright.
    We have never done carpet ourselves before as I was worried about it shifting. Do you tack it down on the edges?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did your youngest head to college already? Room looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With our current rental market she started early. It's been crazy.

      Delete
  5. Which daughter left for college?
    Not the younger one!!
    Time goes to fast.
    Indeed your an amazing lady.
    There's nothing you can't do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you. Yes, can you believe it? My little one is all grown up.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...