"There just isn't enough time in the day." We've all said it and Lord knows we all feel it sometimes. Maybe a lot of the time.. That fact of the matter is - it's completely true. The other fact - there isn't a whole lot we can do about it.
I used to grumble and complain about it. I never felt like I was ever able to get enough done and yet I felt like I was working my rear end off all the time. Even giving up sleep just to have the extra time to finish a task or two. And taking time off just to relax and take it easy? Forget about that ever happening.
Looking back at it, it seems kind of nuts, but I'm sure we've all been there. When we moved back into our house I decided a significant change would need to happen. In fact, before we moved back in. I even had a "family meeting" and discussed it with my girls and so far so good. I stopped stressing about it and came to terms with reality.
We all get the same twenty four hours in each day and my list is at least twenty five hours long, if not longer. That in itself tells me it ain't gonna happen. But I can get some things done and on a good day I can get a lot of things done.
Here are some tips I've learned in my fifty years:
- Start each day like it's a new beginning.
- Take the time to look over your list (or in my case - lists) and check your calendar for appointments.
- Prioritize! What are the most important things for you to get done today.
- Worry about tomorrow - tomorrow.
- Don't fill your lists up with needless and unnecessary tasks.
- The world doesn't end if your "To Do" list still has stuff on it.
- No one really cares how clean my house is. I do, but no one else does.
- Most of the items on your "To Do" list need to be enjoyable.
- Try not to procrastinate. Tackle the less enjoyable tasks first and just get them done.
- Don't spend a lot of time on the not so fun stuff. Figure out the most streamlined and efficient way to get through it.
- It is okay to take a break and do nothing!
- Schedule yourself some fun. And then do it.
- Eat well, drink lots of water and get plenty of rest.
There are a lot of things we want to do in this life and a whole lot that we know probably won't get done. So do what is most important at the time and accept that this is how it is.
Above all enjoy yourself.