Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Orange Cranberry Scones


These scones turned out great and I was so pleased.  It is so exciting for me to come up with a recipe and have it turn out reasonably well, but with this I knocked it right out of the park.  The girls absolutely loved them and you would never know they are healthy and full of good stuff that is good for you!  😋

Orange Cranberry Scones

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup dried cranberries
Zest of one orange
1/4 cup all vegetable shortening
Juice of one orange, plus water to make 1 cup
1 tsp. vanilla

Whisk first six ingredients together really well, then thoroughly work in the shortening.  Juice the orange and add enough water to equal one cup of liquid.  Stir in vanilla and add to dry ingredients.  Mix to combine.  Dough will be fairly wet.




On a well floured surface work in enough flour to easily pat out the dough into a circle approximate 3/4" thick.  Cut out biscuits with a cutter and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet making sure they don't touch.  Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 15 to 18 mins.


Glaze

3 Tbs. powdered sugar
1 tsp. water, orange or lemon juice

Mix up glaze.  Remove baked scones from oven and drizzle across the top of each one.

Makes 12 scones

The glaze is completely optional and you could leave it off, but it is really good.  I was going for full on flavor and since I was making a fruit salad and using a can of pineapple chunks I used the pineapple juice to top off the orange juice instead of water.



What I really like about these scones is that they are moist and fluffy so no need to add a smear of butter or jam.  If you are looking to cut some fat and calories from your diet without sacrificing flavor this scone recipe is a good one for that.


8 comments:

  1. I will definitely try this! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! These look so good! I've never eaten scones or tried to make them because I always thought they appeared to be the consistency of a hardened muffin and I wasn't sure how I would like them. Since you say these are light and fluffy I am going to try them out. I already have all the ingredients on hand and your pictures are making me crave them. Thank you for sharing this recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like dry hard scones myself so these were a very pleasant surprise. I really hope you like them.

      Delete
  3. I am going to be baking these when lent is over. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do look delicious! Thank you for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...