Thursday, August 17, 2017

Purging The House - Care To Join Me?


I've decided to purge the house again, which always make my girls groan.  Especially when I hand them a bag and tell them to fill it up.  Sunday morning I decided to purge and organize the upstairs bathroom cabinet.  It has been driving me nuts.  Too much stuff!  Once I was done consolidating items, tossing out expired medicines, and re-evaluating the items that were in there I had filled up the bathroom trash can quite nicely.

I gave the girls each a plastic grocery bag and sent them to their rooms.  They managed to find all kinds of crap they had squirreled away.  So by the end of an hour we had three filled bags of junk leaving our home.


I figure if I can do that much in an hour what could I do in an afternoon?

I probably won't need the whole afternoon, but who knows.  So Saturday afternoon I'm going to grab some shopping bags and make a pass through the entire house.  I have two problem areas.  The hall closet under the stairs and our garage.  I might need separate times for those two spots, but the rest of the house I'll sweep through and see what I can come up with.

How about you?  Is it time to go through the house and get rid of some stuff?  Care to join me?  I hope you do and I hope you'll share with me how it goes.


12 comments:

  1. I quickly grabbed two small bags from my closet yesterday and donated them to the Baptist Men's Ministry thrift store. I could probably go back and fill at least two more bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My younger child goes starts college this fall, and it is time for this house to reflect that. I started with the family room, culling books for donating and clearing an entire wall of bookshelves of their accumulated junk. Donated 4 large shopping bags of books to a book bin, and packed up over 60 grade 4/5 paperbacks for my teacher friend's elementary school. It's going to be a long process, but I'll get it done one garbage bag/box at a time.
    If you have expired medicines, please check with your local pharmacy or police station or town hall about proper drug disposal--simply putting them in the garbage is not enough. Traces of prescription and OTC meds are starting to show up in our water supply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds terrible. We have a monthly hazardous waste station to take our stuff to. I'm accumulating a nice size pile to take to them this month. Good job on the purging!

      Delete
  3. I'm all in with purging...have been doing a little every day for a long time...since in I live in what was my parents home I have to go through their 60 years of stuff too...my neighbor across the street is having a garage sale today so I gave him a few things to sell...he can keep the money ( he needs it)...win/win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After a comprehensive decluttering years ago, I now go through the whole house quickly maybe once a month. It's so much easier and it gets done within a half hour! The only thing left to go through would be the family photos. For some reason I just can't get myself to do those.

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photos are tough. I'm having a hard time with that myself.

      Delete
  5. I've been doing the same thing lately. I noticed last night that I had some expired medications that need to be tossed too so I will be working on that once my hubby wakes up.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you have a great weekend as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. With our big move we just did a MAJOR purge, but I've decided that as I unpack each box I'll be keeping an eye out for things I let "slip" by in our move! I'm hoping to have more to donate/sell soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have done a lot! I'm sure you'll still find things and shake your head and wonder why did I pack that? LOL

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...