Friday, September 7, 2018

Fall Décor Projects



I decided to decorate for fall on the first of September rather than waiting until October like I usually do.  With my newly renovated spaces in my home I was itching to do some decorating, which is odd for me as I don't tend to get that way at all.  But this year I feel different about it so I went with it.  And I have had a blast too!



My first project was easy and thrifty.  I had gone to dollar tree to see what they had for fall decor and found some florals that really looked nice and I decided I'd get some to make an arrangement for our mantle.  I picked out several in a variety of colors that looked nice together and then a vase to put them in.  To spruce up the vase I wanted to give it a makeover with some copper spray paint.  I gave it three good coats and let it dry.  I think it really dressed it up nicely.

Pretty, pretty, pretty!

Then I arranged the flowers in the vase and set it on the mantle along with my two glass pumpkins.  I've had these pumpkins for years and had picked them up at Honks 99¢ Store when they used to be around.  So I've had them awhile and I just love them.



The next project was super simple.  I had found this pumpkin sign and it says exactly what I feel on a daily basis.  I didn't love the flattened rafia bow on it so I removed it and replaced it with a bow I tied with wired fall ribbon and hot glued it into place.  I found both the ribbon and sign at Dollar Tree.  I hung it in my kitchen and I love it.

I added one of the mums to my big flowerpot
along with my fall tin picks that I've had for years

ShopKo had mums on sale 3 for $9.99.  When I got there to look at them I was really surprised and happy to find they were the big ones.  I decided to buy three.  After our triple digit heatwave our summer flowers were looking a bit bedraggled.  I replaced a couple of them with two of the mums in our flowerpots on the porch and added a third pot as well.  The pot, once again, came from Dollar tree and I just set the mum right inside of it.

We gave the chair a couple light coats of paint to freshen it up

The girls helped me to build a crate out of wood scraps

I've been looking for a little table to set next to the thrift store chair I made over a couple years ago and had yet to find one.  An idea popped into my head while shopping that I could just use a crate set on its end as a table for now until the right one comes along.  With a garage full of wood scraps there was no point to me buying one.  So when we got home the girls and I build us a crate.


We also gave the chair a makeover as well.  The girls and I gave it a fresh coat of paint from a can we had in the garage.  Then I used two fall themed dollar store dishtowels that I stitched together to recover the seat.  Quick, easy and a great $2 remake, if you ask me.

How cute it this?!

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to stain the crate
or let it weather naturally

We set the chair back on the porch with the new crate and the mum in the pot and my little heart was singing.  It looks perfect and so inviting.


I hung up the fall Welcome sign we've had for quite some time and moved the barn star to hang above the chair and crate.  Our new door mat I bought on sale and with a coupon at ShopKo looks so nice in front of our door.  It really pulls all of our colors together too.

Our new door mat

I really love our front porch area so much right now as well as the areas inside our home.  And I am really glad I decided to do it now because we get to enjoy it a whole month longer.  So pretty, warm and inviting.
  
I'm pretty proud of what we did here

Our home is really transforming into something very special.  Have you made any fall decorations yet this year?



18 comments:

  1. Wow--such great ideas! I really like every one of your projects, and your porch turned out so well! I like that it's not loud and overdone--it's thoughtful and subtle, and the plants will make it evolve further as fall arrives and marches on.
    Fall isn't even in my vocabulary here in the Northeast--not with temps over 100 and humidity up the wazoo.
    I know you didn't put it up for a vote, but I'm gonna vote anyway that the crate gets stained. Because even stained wood will weather, but will look nicer than raw wood while doing so. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue and I appreciate the "vote". I'm leaning in that direction myself. Enjoy your warm weather. It won't last much longer.

      Delete
    2. You've got some shades of brown (I am loving that darker tone) in that great doormat...it's so cool how it already goes with all the colors already on your porch. You'd think it was custom made!

      Delete
    3. I was so excited when I found it. It's just perfect.

      Delete
  2. Everything looks great!! Love the front porch, it looks so nice and inviting! I think stain the crate too. They have a weathered gray or driftwood stain that would look nice with your gray house.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your front porch is so nice and inviting! I love it. Fall is my favorite season and I can't wait to decorate too - Halloweeeen! I really appreciate how you do home improvement so inexpensively ... and how does everything you do turn out so great? So inspiring.

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Not everything I do is a success, trust me, but right now I do feel like I'm on a bit of a roll, ha, ha.

      Delete
  4. That porch is so welcoming and cozy looking, and I *love* that door mat! I really need to replace ours; it's a few years old and fairly weathered. My porch is basically a leaf-and-stick collector, nothing as lovely as yours. I'm not much of a decorator, unfortunately; I don't have much space to put decorations out, but I can definitely appreciate when others have a good eye for that sort of thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first crack at decorating our porch, to be honest. I've put up a few Christmas things off and on over the years, but my porch has been a big leaf collector too. I think I finally just got tired of it.

      I am really enjoying it now. :)

      Delete
  5. I wholly approve and love the projects. I would say do not leave the crate as is--paint, stain, or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I've broached the idea of staining the crate... we shall see what the girls think.

      Delete
  6. "Pinterest Worthy" is all I can say!! All the projects look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll add this to my Pinterest account. Good idea!!

      Delete
  7. Great projects and super cute finished results!
    I've been thinking of getting out some fall things, and I usually wait until the official calendar change of season, but for some reason, this year I'm wanting to start earlier... Now I have more inspiration - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The decorating bug has sure bit me early this year. I'm have a ball! :0)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...