Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Last Week's Thrifty Moves



Sunday was a continuation of our weekend in that I did not work on any home improvement projects, but rather focused on getting some other projects completed around the house.  After chores and laundry I did a short meal prep pulling out everything from the freezer I needed for the week as well as to prepare a few things ahead of time to make life throughout the coming week a little bit easier.  We attended a friend's birthday party in the afternoon and we took him a gift of homemade bread, jam, pear butter and a dozen of our eggs.  He was pretty happy about that.

I hemmed and repaired my daughter's band uniform and realized this is likely the last time I'll ever do this (sniff).  She is all set now for another season of marching band.


The girls were the recipients of four bags of hand me downs.  They found all kinds of cute tops, pants, skirts, workout wear and jackets.  I won't need to buy them any clothes for a long time to come.  There were even a few things for me in those bags.

I checked out the grocery ads and decided there wasn't anything I needed so I did not do any grocery shopping last week.  That always saves some $$.

The remainder of the week went by in a flash with something going on every evening until Friday.  I took the afternoon off from work and began my Labor Day weekend early.  Of course I had a list going and when I got home I got started on it right away.  I'll share with you all starting tomorrow how that ended up working out.


Saturday I took the youngest to the mall for underwear shopping.  We found several pair on sale and the bill was looking like it was going to be about $40!  Yikes, ladies underwear is expensive.  However, I knew if I used my JC Penney card to purchase them I'd get another 20% OFF, because that was the deal that day.  But when I checked out the clerk told me I had accumulated $10 in rewards.  Did I want to use that?  Yes, please!!  I was able to get her eight pair of undies for $25 and I won't actually have to pay off my card balance until October.

We also went to Dillards while we were there.  I needed to replace two pair of my pajama bottoms that were completely worn out and getting holy.  The tops are still good though so I didn't want to toss them out.  Amazingly, I found two pair on the clearance rack that match my tops perfectly.  One pair was $6.30 and the other pair $9.90.  We also found my daughter a new bra on the clearance rack for $6.30.


On the way home we stopped in at Walmart to pick up a can of copper spray paint I needed for a craft project I had planned.  While we were there I found a nice little fall wreath to hang next to our front door for $10.  I can't make one for that price so I decided to use some of my found money to purchase one.

I added a little water to an empty shampoo bottle and gave it a good shake.  I added that soapy solution to a new bottle of shampoo and gave it a good shake too.  Nothing wasted there.

I used a tablespoon of Bath & Body Works shower gel and a cup of warm water to make a batch of refill solution for the foaming handsoap dispenser in my bathroom.  Works really well and smells delightful.

How was your thrifty week?



8 comments:

  1. A birthday present of homemade goodies? Now THAT is the sort of present I love. I don't need "things" I just need to feel the love. A homemade card? I'm feeling it! A loaf of your fresh bread and preserved fruits and eggs from your hens? I'm feeling the love all over--especially in my tummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love gifts like that myself and so did he. I don't need things either. I am rich beyond measure. :0)

      Delete
  2. Aww, those emotional moments are going to keep coming all this year, too! It's so bittersweet watching our kids grow up. :)

    You had a great week! I love weeks when I look at the grocery sales and go, "Meh." Usually those weeks I just restock with the things we're out of that I can't really stock- usually cheese and milk (I swear, between my kids and husband, I should just buy an entire dairy cow and keep it in the backyard). Makes for a super easy grocery trip! :)

    Your comment about underwear being expensive made me nod. I need to get some new pairs, especially since my physical therapist sees so much of them (I'm there for lower back issues, and when she tapes my back, the tape goes halfway down my rear end, so I make sure to wear the non-ratty undies those days!). Next time I'm at the store...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need some new pairs myself. Hopefully next month I can make that happen. Hope your back gets better very soon Stephanie. And your undies. ;)

      Delete
  3. I marched off to Safeway to take advantage of several wonderful stock-up items that appeared in Sunday's sale ad... only to find, with shopping nearly done, that the specials start TOMORROW. (Yes, I was embarrassed. Thankfully, Customer Service put it back for me, since they were all in the same area. Red face.)
    You definitely need to check Safeway this week! Canned tomatoes and beans - 33 cents each. Paper towels - 33 cents. Soup, chili, all sorts of stuff -- but you need to buy at least a dozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have totally done that. It happens. LOL

      Those are really great prices. We don't have a Safeway here. :( But if we did I'd be stocking up on some stuff!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...