Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Our Prepper Pantry

 


In April of 2020 I started prepping.  It wasn't something I had ever planned to do but when I saw the reaction of so many of my fellow Americans when the pandemic hit in March of last year and then some subsequent manufacturing and food shortages that followed I decided it might not be a bad idea.

 

Prepping rice

I began with food by purchasing pantry staples such as rice, dry beans, flour, sugar, pastas, oats, potato flakes and many other items I knew I could store long term.  I purchased a vacuum sealer and bags off of eBay.  My youngest daughter and I sat down to determine based on serving sizes and several recipes we like to use how much of each item we should parcel out and vacuum seal.  I added nutrition facts by printing them off on copy paper and taping them to the outside of each package with clear packing tape.  We dated everything with the packing date, sizes, etc.  As much information as we felt is necessary.

 

Vacuum sealing with directions and nutrition facts added to each package

After securing dry goods I moved onto canned items such as tuna, chicken, vegetables, pasta sauces, peanut butter, condiments and spices.  I added cereal, granola bars and flavored oatmeal packets.  Once that was completed we moved onto household items such as laundry products and cleaning supplies.  Toiletries items were next as well as first aid supplies and over the counter medicines we use.  All the while we collected toilet paper too.  Lastly, we began to work on pet food and chicken feed as we feel our animals are important and need to be taken care of as well.

 

I label all of my boxes

We store everything in banker boxes with lids to keep them secure, organized and protected from light.  They are a good size, stackable and have handles so I can easily manage them.  I placed labels on each box with everything that is inside so we can easily find what we are looking for.  Our house is small and there isn't room for us to build and actual prepper pantry, however we've managed to carve out appropriate storage areas within our home with reasonable climate control.

 

These prepackaged items are a great option.  I added rice and pasta
sides so we can easily add a can of tuna or chicken to make a meal. 
We also like them for camping.

What to prep and how much is definitely a personal preference and since I am fairly new to this I hesitate to make any recommendations.  What I do recommend, however, is to have some sort of long term food storage in your home and to do a lot of research in order to help you make the right decisions for you.  What I am doing may not be the right course of action for someone else.  But what I do know is having a prepper pantry gives added stability and peace of mind.  I am very glad I made the decision to do it.

 

12 comments:

  1. My the LDS members from whom I bought my old house when we moved up here told me at close, that if I was going to start to prep seriously, that I shouldn't even bother if I wasn't going to store water. She suggested that every time I empty a suitable container (2 liter soda bottle, apple juice bottle, etc.) I rinse it, fill it with water, and tuck it in the garage. I thought that was bonkers, until shortly after we moved in, and the power went out for 4 days. (We are on a well.) I may have cried real tears when I had to force a flush of the toilet with newly purchased bottled water. I heeded that advice after that, and never regretted it. Now we have a standby generator, so I don't have to go to such lengths. Still, it's not a bad idea to keep several sealed cases of drinking water--one in the trunk of your car, for instance, and a few stacked up in, say the coat closet, or slid under your bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about that. I have a separate area designated for water storage and I'm working this year to expand that. The hot water heater is another great source of water, especially for that toilet flush.

      Delete
    2. We filled two 50-gallon drums of water during the "will all the computers go bust?" crisis, thinking the same thing...

      Then I quietly used one to catch rainwater off the roof later on. It worked, too, with a spigot on the bottom to water plants.

      Delete
  2. I am sure you do it since you are so organized and logical, but we need to eat it and replace so nothing gets old. It appears you do "store what you eat and eat what you store." I have heard of people prepping and leaving it so long it goes off. I have been guilty of that a time or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have everything dated and as I've mentioned before we will be pulling to use and replacing as things near their dates. I agree with you, no point in storing it to go bad. Kind of defeats the purpose not to mention that its a bit wasteful.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you! Having some long-term food not only comes in handy if we're out boondocking -- but makes me feel better about the rise in prices this past year. I did not get sauce/rice packets, but followed your lead and got sour cream, milk and cheese powder. Some canned chicken and tuna -- but also corned beef hash (which we love), as well as canned beef and corned beef. Sam's Club (I know - you don't, but many do) has a 3-pound bag of shelf-stable beef strips for just a little over $9.00, close to what they are fresh. We WILL get through this uncertain period. Especially with resourceful people like you around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got boon docking plans with Laverne in the not too distant future and she'll have a prepper pantry too. Ha, ha!

      Delete
  4. I added a few items to the pantry as well,today. I am just starting to mark an item when I open it so I can gauge how long something lasts. Your blog kicked me off the couch to get it done

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...