Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Depression Era Recipe - My Version Of The Poor Man's Meal

 


This is a simple meal you can put together quickly using just a few inexpensive ingredients.  I happened to have a couple leftover hotdogs in the refrigerator one day so I decided to make the depression era "poor man's meal".  I simply scrubbed up a couple potatoes and diced them along with a little bit of onion I had.  I also had a little bit of carrot so I diced it up and added it to the mix.  I fried the potatoes, carrot and onion in a skillet with some rendered bacon fat I had in the refrigerator until they were tender and beginning to crisp up.  Then I thinly sliced the two hotdogs and added them to the pan.  Once those were beginning to crisp up I added salt and pepper to taste.  It made enough for two to three people and it was quite good.  Smoked or polish sausage would be nice in this as well.  I would definitely make this again.

 

14 comments:

  1. I used to make a version of that when my kids were young. I used smoked sausage, potatoes, onions, and colored peppers. It was one of their most favorite meals, and one they all liked-which hardly ever happened lol.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo doing this for dinner! We have potatoes and carrots in our garden share and I have some Aidel sausage aging in the freezer as well as some crumbled bacon. YUMMERS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Looks delicious!
    I fixed something similar last night with some leftover breakfast sausage. I fried some diced potatoes and added the sausage and scrambled some eggs into it. Made some homemade blueberry muffins to go with it. Easy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve made this many times during lean times. I don’t add carrots but I do add red and green bell peppers with onion. If no hot dogs, add kielbasa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing how many varieties we can come up with. :o)

      Delete
    2. Clara's depression era cooking. I love it.

      Delete
    3. I have her cookbook. It's a treasure.

      Delete
  5. I would make this a lot in the summer when we had potatoes, onions, squash and zucchini from the garden. Kielbasa or hot dogs added for protein if we had it. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for publishing these "old" recipes. I was raised by parents & grandparents who were farmers, today they would be called "homesteaders", and lived through the depression. It was hard work but I do miss those simpler times. These recipes bring back so many fond memories of my grandmother teaching me to cook. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my pleasure Karen. I often think simpler is so much better. :o)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...