Tuesday, July 5, 2022

The Economy Of Potatoes

  


I live in Idaho where we grow a lot of potatoes.  In fact, it is one of our chief crops and is a vital part of our economy.  It's even on our license plates.  To live in Idaho and not like potatoes I'm sure is a sin of some sort.  Ha!  Fortunately I do like potatoes.  They are not only delicious but also full of good nutrients.  Did you know they are a good source of vitamin C?

 


Potatoes are also very economical, although like everything else right now, they are going up in price.  Even still a bag of potatoes is very affordable and quite versatile too.  You can make so many things with potatoes.  Baked potatoes can actually be your main course, not just a side.  We like to top them with homemade chili and a little grated cheese or steamed veggies and a cheese sauce is very good too.  Taco meat, black beans, cheese and salsa make for a nice nacho stuffed baked potato too.  And who doesn't love a loaded baked potato with cheese, sour cream, green onions and some bacon?

 


Mashed potatoes topped with gravy and bits of meat was a way my mother would use up leftovers.  She would make hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes quite a bit too.  Mashed potatoes are the topping for shepards pie and of course they are a big part of a turkey or roast beef dinner.  You can make your own hash browns, steak fries and home fries.  Scalloped potatoes are a great side dish, but if you add in some diced ham (another one of my mom's go-to meals) it becomes the main course.  Potato soup is another option.  Potato salad!

 


I use potatoes to make a very economical breakfast hash that is also good for supper.  Leftover boiled or mashed potatoes can be made into potato pancakes simply by adding an egg and a little flour.  Fried in oil and topped with sour cream - oh my goodness!  There are so many possibilities!

 


Mashed potatoes freeze well and I recently canned a bunch of them for my long term food storage.  For mere pennies a single potato can make a meal or transform one.  Check for sales, even digital coupons at your store and see if you can get yourself a good deal on some spuds.  By making potatoes a part of your diet you can add a lot without spending a fortune.

 

6 comments:

  1. I love potatoes and I am not even from Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love potatoes! I bake a pan of vegetables with potatoes, carrots, onions, squash and zucchini or whatever I have on hand. We can eat off it for several meals during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love potatoes too! Not from Idaho, but I may be part Irish.
    A funny thing when my husband and I were dating, he didn't have much money, but he usually wanted to pay for my meal. I told him that I loved Wendy's baked potatoes with sour cream and butter. He didn't know the reason I picked a baked potato was because it was the cheapest thing on the menu back then, about $1. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you are so sweet. I remember those potatoes. They were huge and really good. Definitely could make a meal out of one of them.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...