Thursday, August 11, 2022

Small Home Improvement Project - The 2nd Bedroom - Decorated

 


I began collecting and making items to redo this bedroom years ago.  It's my neighbor's fault really.  She gave me this beautiful white vintage bedspread and I knew I couldn't use it until my girls were grown and gone.  A mother just knows these things.  A white bedspread and children, not happening.  Not at my house anyway.  So I tucked it aside and dreamed of all the things I would do with this bedspread and the room I'd create around it.

 

I think this bedspread is just beautiful

Several years ago I picked up some vintage lamps, very similar to the ones I had as a child.  I acquired lampshades at thrift stores and even got one at Lowes on clearance.  I made doilies and dresser scarves that I carefully packaged and stored away for "someday".  I made pillows that I would add to the bed I made up with that beautiful bedspread.  And I had keepsakes from my childhood tucked away in my bedroom closet.

 

I recently got this handmade wooden doll cradle on Facebook Marketplace
The Irish Chain quilt I made while waiting to adopt my oldest daughter

In celebration of my children heading off on their own journey into adulthood I went on a little shopping spree one morning.  It has been soooooo long since I've done a shopping spree for frivolous items and I had a lot of fun.  With some of the money left over from my big landscaping project I was able to get quite a few things I otherwise probably wouldn't have.  I picked up a set of white book shelves, new blinds and some darling curtains and a can of spray paint to refresh an old desk.  I also ordered a pink fuzzy rug from Amazon.

 

The refurbished nightstand with a vintage lamp & shade

A few years back I had picked up a nightstand at a neighbor's yard sale for $10 and refurbished it.  I had stripped off the very bad paint job it came with and sanded it smooth, replaced the warped back with a new piece of luan, and repainted it.  I even added a new knob and stitched a darling little drawer liner for it.  Again, I kept it safe until I could place it in this room "someday".

 

More to come!

Now that "someday" has arrived and the room has been renovated (I still need to do the closet) I was able to get in there and put the finishing touches on this space and use my carefully created and curated items in here.  I could not be happier with how this sweet little room has turned out.  I'm not quite finished in here as I've got several plans for this room and it will be a work in progress, hopefully for a very long time.

 

12 comments:

  1. I love that bedspread! They are hard to find now. I get night sweats if I sleep under anything synthetic so these are perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely room!! Beautiful bedspread too! Great job decorating with such fun treasures too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it looks very pretty. I no longer have a guest room. No one came so I turned it into a craft/sewing room. Just after we did that, and got rid of the bed - we started having guests. We just used a blow up in the living room and said, "Oh well." It would be nice if we actually had guests - my kids live within a mile or two from us.

    I still have the chenille bedspread I had as a teenager. It's white with pink flowers on it. After being stored for so long, somehow it has a big stain on it. So I plan to cut it down to use as pillows. I also have a woven medallion off white bedspread with shams I paid a pretty penny for 30 years ago.

    You sure have done a lot this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Debby. It has been a ton of fun working on this room. But, I'm a little tired right now. Time for a break.

      Delete
  4. Love your new “playroom”.
    Sharon D.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...