Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Guest Post From My Friend


My friend Sharlene is a true inspiration.  Having nearly lost her life to diabetes she has not only battled back but conquered her illness to the point that she is now completely medication free.  A healthy diet and positive outlook on life have made a huge impact on her as well as the wonderful people she surrounds herself with.  I am very proud of her and what she has managed to overcome.  She is a real treasure.

I first heard about this cake two years ago when I was trying to educate myself about Type 2 Diabetes.  It is a perfect dessert for those trying to control their blood glucose.  


Cloud Cake

1 Box Angel-food Cake Mix
1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple in its own juice

Empty cake mix into a large mixing bowl.  Add crushed pineapple and juice to the mix.  Stir gently to mix well but do not over mix.  Lightly spray a 9 x 13 cake pan with oil.  Pour batter into pan.  Lightly dust the top of the batter with cinnamon (optional).  Place into pre-heated 350 degree oven.  Bake for 30 - 35 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool completely before serving.  Cut with a serrated knife.

Cut the cooled cake into twelve equal pieces.  Each serving contains 98 calories and two carbs.  You can dress up the cake with sugar free whipped topping, freshly crushed berries, peaches, chopped walnuts or just about anything you want.  (Remember to add the additional calories.)


It would even be wonderful torn into bite sized pieces and used in a trifle recipe. 

If you take it to a potluck, be sure you put a little label on it so diabetics will know the calories and carbs.  They'll really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

I have had this cake and it is fantastic!  Thank you Sharlene for sharing it with us!!

2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! Thank you Sharlene! My grandmother is a diabetic and she lives in a nursing home. I always try to take her some kind of goodies when I go to visit her but I have to be so careful what I bring because of her diabetes (She loves anything sweet.) This is something I know she will love AND it is super-easy to make! Thank you again!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...