Monday, July 28, 2014

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


On the way home from work I stopped off at Albertsons and picked up a few items they had store coupons for.  Two packages of hot dogs 59¢ each, a package of hot dog buns and a package of hamburger buns 59¢ each and a dozen eggs for 59¢!

I made my trip count after work on Wednesday when I filled our propane tank (for 99¢ per gallon once again), stopped for gas using my rewards card to save 3¢ per gallon, and then went to Fred Meyer to pick up a few groceries to round out what we already had on hand.  I was able to get all my errands done in less than an hour and head home.

In addition to the hotdogs, buns and eggs my best buys this week were a bag of tortilla chips for 60¢ and two containers of Dryer's ice cream for $3.00 ( both on sale & with a coupon).

My daughters used up threes really ripe bananas to make three batches of delicious banana muffins.  They shared one batch with a friend of ours, put one away in the freezer and we enjoyed the other one throughout the week for our breakfasts.  They were delicious.

In the spirit of Use It Up we thoroughly and completely used up a bottle of shampoo, a bottle of lotion, a bottle of dish soap, a bottle of salad dressing, a jar of peanut butter and a tube of toothpaste. I also started cleaning out the remains in the bottom of a tube of chapstick.

I got a $10 Off a $50 purchase coupon in the mail for ShopKo.  I used it to purchase a pair of Avia tennis shoes and a Fila backpack for my oldest daughter for school.  The shoes were on sale for $29.99 and the backpack was on sale for $18.99.  In order to reach $50 I also purchased a Corelle plate on sale for $2.99 to replace the one we broke last year so now my set of dishes is complete.

I encouraged my oldest daughter to wait to purchase some things she wants until they went on Clearance.  She has set aside a budget for a special project she will be working on after school starts and I told her that if she waits just a little longer until school starts the items she wants will drop in price and her money will go much further.  Hard as it was for her she decided to wait.

A friend took us to dinner Friday and we went to a friend's for dinner on Saturday so I got a bit of a reprieve from cooking.

On the way to our friend's house on Saturday we stopped at Harbor Freight and redeemed three of our "free item no purchase necessary" coupons.  We got a head lamp, sleeve of AAA batteries and a mini LED flashlight for $0.

I watched two shows on Amazon and one on Hulu last week. 

What thrifty things did you do to save money last week?

2 comments:

  1. Good job. I got free potatoes, tomatoes, corn, and green peppers from the in-laws garden. My parents and two of my nieces came over. My dad mowed the yard for us since ours is broken and my mom and nieces helped get the baby's room ready. She left a box of baby detergent and some cleaning supplies for me. She bought pizza for everyone (I tried to pay to thank them but she refused my money) and left the extra so dinner nd lunch the next day was free.

    I'm trying to focus more on saving money and using what we have. My hours have been cut and there is a very good chance I'll be losing my job within the next few months so I really have to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your job. That usually means something better is on the horizon. :) Take it from one who knows. I always thought a job loss was terrible but my next one was much better.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...