Friday, May 10, 2019

Refreshing Our Front Porch



I spring clean the front porch every year.  It is the space that greets us every day when we come home as well as our guests.  It is important to me that it look nice and welcoming.


Last Saturday I got busy and got the porch area completely cleared off and swept down, getting rid of all the cobwebs and winter debris.  Then I washed our front door, the walls and the porch.  I used a vacuum to get in all the nooks and crannies and even sucked the accumulated lint in the dryer vent.


I cleaned the doormat I bought last fall and vacuumed it real good too as well as our cute little porch chair.  Then it was time to start putting things back.  I set the chair in its designated corner, the crate the girls and I made to use as a side table and display area, and the flower pots.

Looking pretty faded

The barn star we have at our front door was really faded so I decided to give it a quick freshen up as well.  I had some spray paint in the garage so I gave it a quick coat of the wine color and then a light dusting of the metallic paint to give it a little something extra.

I already had the paint in the garage so this was a super quick no cost project!

The girls love how the star turned out.  Especially the little bit of sparkle I added.  It looks really neat when the sun hits it.


Lastly, and most certainly not the least, was to plant the flower pots.  My youngest daughter and I went to Fred Meyer and picked out the flowers and plants we wanted to add to the pots and I think we came up with some really nice combinations.


I always try to do different flowers each year, but we always like to have a spike in the big pot by the door.  This year we got a different color spike than the one we planted last year and our mums I planted last fall in the pots wintered over quite nicely so they are still in there as well.

Cleaned the light fixture & removed all the cobwebs

There are a few things I truly enjoy doing each spring to launch the season.  Freshening up my front porch and planting out my flowerpots brings me so much joy.  I really love this spring tradition that has developed over the years.

Welcome to our home!


What is your favorite part of the spring season?



10 comments:

  1. I love all the spring refreshing you've been doing this week. Little things do add up! I, too, enjoy a bit of container gardening for my front porch and back patio. Love the 'spike' plant - you've just got to have one of those! Thanks for reminding me of simple ways to make my house a home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how little things can make such a big impact and you don't have to spend much to do it either.

      Delete
  2. Your porch looks lovely. I gussie ours up every year, but we have little more than a covered stoop so I have to go vertical with plants, then use big pots at the bottom of the stairs for most of the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always fun to plant and decorate the front of the house. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. What a pretty spot, and so welcoming to you and your guests. I'm itching to get out and plant my containers but it is still a little early here in Canada. In a couple of weeks we should be frost free...I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could hardly wait myself. Looks so pretty out there now.

      Delete
  4. I just love all the red on your porch! So bright and cheerful. Going to the garden center when all of the new flowers arrive, is one of my favorite spring traditions. We went this weekend and all the flowers were lovely. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too and can hardly wait to make another visit. :)

      Delete
  5. You just gave me a good idea. We have a broken spot, a hole in the siding beside our front door. We have looked for a new piece of siding to replace it but can't find any that match. It's right beside the door so it is very obvious. I could buy a star like yours and use it to cover it.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...