Thursday, May 30, 2019

The Busyness That Is Spring



It has been an incredible year so far and with June right around the corner summer is well on its way.  Spring is my favorite season, full of freshness and new life.  Sunshine and warmer temperatures take over and no more scraping my windshield in the morning before I go to work!  Spring is also the prelude to summer, my other favorite season of the year!


We've enjoyed a rather wet spring here in Boise.  I think we've had far more rainy days that days that didn't rain.  And not just a little bit here and there, but a lot of rain, which is good.  Everything is lush and green and I haven't had to water the lawn or anything.  Always a silver lining.


It is difficult to get things done when you have to dodge the stormy weather, but I managed to get quite a bit done nonetheless.  I was able to get the yard spring cleaned which I'm always chomping at the bit to do each year once the snow melts and I can see what winter has left me.  I started at the end of our driveway and headed toward the backyard.  I raked up leaves, pulled a ton of weeds (thanks to the rain the weeds are doing great!), mowed and trimmed the lawn several times, spring cleaned our front porch, planted my flower pots, refreshed the hose area, did some repairs and spring cleaned the chicken coop.  Did I mention I pulled a ton of weeds?


Along with all the yard work I had a few projects going on.  I gave our fire pot a much needed facelift.  I overhauled a BBQ we picked up on Craigslist for FREE and built a grilling station to go with it.  We even managed to upgrade our patio furniture on our deck.  I also picked up three loads of wood from the FREE WOOD bin near where I work for a project I've got planned this summer.  All of that wood had to be "processed" which meant pulling out nails, staples and removing screws to make it usable.


Did I get everything done I had hoped to?  Nope.  And at first I was really disappointed in myself until I sat back and took inventory of what I had done and realized I'd done A LOT.  Mostly on my own too as the girls have been incredibly busy with school and my oldest works.  They pitched in to help whenever they could though.


I still have two fence posts to replace this year.  One leftover from last year that I didn't get to and a new one that snapped this winter.  Funny thing, the one that broke this year is the very first one I replaced 25 years ago.  I think I got my money's worth out of that post.  Once the ground dries out a bit I'll be tackling that project.


What projects are on your list this year?  What have you done so far?  Has it been raining a lot where you live?



8 comments:

  1. You are such a busy family I am amazed that you get so much done! But it is always so wonderful to live in a clean house! Summer starts me thinking about Christmas gifts I want to make. It's my second Christmas season! I hope the weather doesn't get awfully hot and we don't get another smoky summer. Your list of chores always encourages me to do more around here. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always hoping for no or at least less smoke each summer as well. We've had a lot of rain this spring which help, I think. We are opting out on Christmas this year or else I'd be thinking about that now too.

      Delete
  2. I just read one of your posts in the "you might also like:" and it was about knitting and crocheting and the looms you have. I have those looms and lots of yarn, and since I am thinking about Christmas gifts, this is just perfect! Don't know whether I would have thought of those without this post this morning. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great Tana! Repurposing your stuff will help you declutter, make someone a lovely gift and save you some $$. Way to go!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I'm tired just thinking of everything you got accomplished...while working and raising two girls. Since I've got the house listed and I'm retired, I did quite a bit more than I normally would have clearing out the sheds, tackling those darned dandelions and dealing with the pine cones and pine needles that fell on the driveway, patio and deck. For some reason it was far worse any other year I remember.

    I've planted fewer containers than normal so that took less than an afternoon. I did pick up a few more annuals that I'll plant in the front flower bed tomorrow.

    We've had lovely weather, a bit cool earlier in the month, but now we've got temps in the 80's and 90's which is normally July weather for us. We had a frost advisory Sunday night so the furnace was on, yesterday afternoon I turned on the air conditioning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am tired having done it! LOL I've noticed the trees have been extra messy this year as well. Enjoy your lovely weather.

      Delete
  4. You definitely do some serious projects. We had a real spring here this year, but it has been long gone and we have been in full blown summer all of May. Such is life down south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready for warmer weather. And some down time to go along with it. Not sure I'll get any of that, however.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...