Friday, December 10, 2021

Applesauce

 


I had been looking for the 15 oz. size cans of applesauce at the stores lately to add to our pantry and our prepper pantry, but to no avail.  I could find larger jars of applesauce, but nothing in cans.  And of course the prices on those jars of applesauce was more than what I wanted to pay so I decided to pass.  And then I decided to just make my own and can it.

 

I gave them all a bath in lukewarm water & vinegar

I've made applesauce a lot over the year.  It is super simple to do, especially in the slow cooker.  I wash my apples, chop them up and place them in my slow cooker with a half cup of water and let them cook.  I stir them every once in awhile and then when they are soft you can mash them with a potato masher or use a stick blender depending on the consistency you like.

 

I filled up my large slow cooker and set it on high
The cores and trimmed bits went out to the chickens

Sometimes I will add a little bit of sugar to lightly sweeten the applesauce but this year I went all unsweetened.  Because I had used a variety of apples - gala, fuji, golden delicious, honey crisp, etc., the flavor was amazing.  I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

 

I filled up my medium sized slow cooker too!

I filled my large and medium sized slow cookers and did about eight pounds of apples I had purchased from the markdown bin.  Three bags for $1 each so a little more than the price of one jar at the store yielded me eight jars of unsweetened, all natural applesauce.  I pressure canned mine this time, but you can water bath it too.

 

Beautiful!

Eight jars of applesauce will last me quite awhile and is an excellent addition to our prepper pantry.  Super easy to make too so I will likely make more later when I find some good markdown deals on apples.

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Do you not peel the apples? Does that affect the texture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not and it doesn't affect the texture at all. They blend right in.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! That makes life so much easier!

      Delete
  2. Applesauce was a staple in our old house, as the trees were quite prolific. I quarter my apples, cook them in water, then send them through my Kitchenaid FGSVA attachment, (it filters out the core/peels.) Put in quart jars, then I pressure can at 6 lbs. for 8 minutes. (I pressure can anything I put in quart jars, as it takes less time than hot water bath.) My family can't bear commercial applesauce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, girl.
    I can make applesauce, but really do prefer the commercial stuff. I looked at Amazon's prices and Walmart's, but ordered a number of the 46 oz jars -- unsweetened applesauce for roughly A THIRD of what Amazon and Wally were charging. Canned goods prices are skyrocketing...

    https://cindybrick.blogspot.com/2021/11/dealing-with-milk-and-food-prices.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were given apples this year, picked from a friend's tree, no charge and I made about 16 quarts of applesauce. It is wonderful. I add cinnamon and all spice. I peel mine though. Nannie

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...