Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Another Small Home Improvement Project - Garage Storage!



At long last we have proper storage in our garage!  Last spring my hope was to get out there as soon as weather warmed, take everything out and put in a better storage system.  I had dreamed of new shelving, some cabinets and even a workbench out there for years and years.  However, when I priced the lumber just to add the shelving I wanted we ended up cleaning,purging and reorganizing that space while making do with what we had instead.  Lumber prices were out of our budget with all the other things that were happening last spring and I put any type of a garage renovation on the back burner for the time being.

Just having the one metal shelf unit wasn't cutting it

Adding this shelf over the freezer helped, but still not enough, however
I am happy to report this stack of storage bins has all been re-purposed!

As we worked on other more pressing projects around the house which included the master bedroom, our main bathroom and my daughter packing up and moving off to college, the garage once again became the usual dumping ground and the end result was a complete mess.  Again.  It was difficult to find what we needed and put away what we had.  It was very frustrating and it seemed to be a constant repeating pattern.

Everything out!  Again!

First boards going in!  Yay!  I was getting sooooo excited!!

Last month I mentioned that the girls and I had made two trips to the FREE WOOD bin near where I work.  For over a week I had driven by this huge pallet that was over 12 feet long and thinking how nice those 2"X4"s and the OSB sheeting was that it was constructed out of.  If I had a project that could use it I certainly would've taken it home.  Then I realized I did!  Duh!  The garage!

All framed in and adding the shelf boards

This space at the end of the shelving was a brilliant idea!
At least I think so anyway, LOL

The garage renovation was absolutely not on our radar to complete this summer.  We had way too many other things going on at home and my daughter was leaving for college in a week, but we all agreed it was far too good of an opportunity to let go to waste so we literally stopped what we all were doing and made it a priority.  We went over to the FREE WOOD bin with our hammers and a pry bar and took apart the pallet so we could load it into my truck.  It took us two trips to bring it all home, it was that much wood.  After pulling out the nails and staples we had a really nice stack of lumber (which I forgot to take a picture of).

The next morning we had to clear out again and then back to work

Next section up and completed!  This made me so happy! 😁

After that everything in the garage ended up in the driveway and our front yard.  It looked atrocious!  Then we got started on one side and figured out how much shelving we needed to build, the spacing and a fairly good idea of what would be going where.  We did have to make a run to Home Depot for some extra 2"X4"s as we didn't quite have enough.  I  had the tail end of a gift card to use and only had to pay just under $10 out of pocket for the wood.  Yay!

Wide enough and tall enough for storage bins

Then it was time to start putting stuff away

By Saturday evening we had the bulk of the shelving installed.  We stopped and put away all the things that needed to be secured in the garage, left the rest of it outside and called it a day.  We were hot, tired, dirty and exhausted.  The next morning we were back at it adding the next section of shelving.  Since we already had our supplies and knew what we were doing it went a whole lot faster and we made much better progress.

I love, love, love this section!

Everything fits perfectly and is easy to get to

We created an area to house the lawn mower and to neatly hang up all of our outdoor tools.  There is room for the ice melt, snow shovel and leaf blower as well.  All contained in one place, I really like this.

Look at the top picture at the wood in the corner and now at what
is left.  I've used up a ton of that stuff on all the projects we've had going.

The old metal shelving unit (gleaned from a former employer for free) was given a good scrubbing and then relocated where our big blue recycling bin had sat.  We decided it was taking up way too much valuable real estate and it will now be kept outside next to the trash bin.  I put all of my tools and building supplies on it, which is perfect and now the new shelving can store the rest of our stuff.  My seasonal decor bins are much more accessible, we have a designated area for pet feed and supplies, the coolers and our camping equipment have a place, even the cargo trailer for my bike has its own space to sit.  We even have some open spots, not that I'll be looking to fill them anytime soon.
  
This shelf I removed from over the freezer is
going to get re-purposed in a future renovation project

Even my bike cargo trailer has a place!

I went through all of the trim and lumber I've dragged home from the FREE WOOD bin for projects I have on my list and got it all organized.  Long pieces were placed up on the top of the metal shelving unit, I put smaller pieces for crafts in a box and the rest ended up corralled in a trash can which makes it nice and neat.  The whole mess is much more accessible and looks a whole lot better to boot.
Stella completed her inspection and wholeheartedly approves

Now when we walk out here I feel calm.  I know where everything
is and I can get to it.  This renovation has really made a huge difference.

For a project that wasn't even supposed to happen I can't believe we pulled this one off.  More importantly I can't believe our good fortune in procuring the wood to do it.  This is by far the best $10 project I've ever done!



16 comments:

  1. Nice! And so well organized! What a joy to walk into the space and see everything in its place, eh?
    My husband built shelves much like you did along the back wall of our garage. UNFORTUNATELY, he is not as meticulously tidy as you are, and the space devolved into a cluttered display of junk. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will definitely need to be maintained but so far it has been wonderful to go out there and work. Makes it really easy to keep up too. I'm so happy with it.

      Delete
  2. I just can't begin to tell you how nice all this positive updates and can-do attitude on your blog is. And I know that, like so many of us, you have had to deal with worrying and scary stuff this year too. It's not all sunshine and kittens, but you still get in there and get stuff done and order re-emerges from chaos.

    And I love it so much that the universe is on your side too and is providing what you need when you need it. Such a small thing in the greater scheme of things.... Yet oh so huge and beautiful and hopeful.

    Love what you did with what you were given (which is what I would like to be my epitaph, lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy Allegra, what a blessing it was to find this wood. This has made our lives so much nicer. Who would have thought the state of our garage would have such an impact on us. It is amazing! I'm so grateful.

      Delete
  3. Looks great and so neat and organized.

    Well done!! Enjoy, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish my husband would do something like this with his shed. He keeps saying he will get to it. Since the only things of "mine" in there are some tools like the rake, hoe and shovel I just let it be. At least it's not a room in the house I would have to look at daily. lol. Some day he will get motivated and get it done. Just not today. lol. Last year we had a big project selling my mother in laws house and moving her. Sold off a lot of her stuff but have some residual stuff let in his shed. So maybe he's afraid to go in there and see what else he has left to do. :)
    Your whole house is looking so good. Good helpers too! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes these things seem so daunting it is hard to get started. But once you do it is amazing how good you feel. When the time is right I'm sure he'll tackle it.

      Thanks for the kudos. I really appreciate the encouragement.

      Delete
  5. Very nice! I have similar shelving in a basement storage area and I love it. It's so nice to be able to tuck away storage bins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, it sure is. When your shelves aren't big enough it makes it really hard to store your things. These shelves are perfect!

      Delete
  6. Impressive! I continue to be amazed at your skills - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth. It was a great project to take on. It really was.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...