Thursday, April 7, 2022

The Trash Bin Challenge

 


The state of our economy, and the world for that matter, is in shambles.  I think we can all agree on that, and although we may feel powerless and helpless to do much about it, there is still a lot of things we can do that will have a great impact.  I am a firm believer that a small change creates the big change.  If each of us takes steps to be more mindful, careful and more sustainable I believe it will create a ripple effect.  I also think it can start with something as simple as our trash.

 


We all know that dealing with our trash has been an issue for a long time so I won't get into all that, but what I'd like to do is ask you to not only create less of it but also to really look at it.  Without a thought Americans set out gobs and gobs of trash at the curb each week to be hauled off and dealt with.  What if we just dealt with it ourselves?  What if we didn't need someone else to do this for us?

 


We need to create less trash to begin with by making more intentional and mindful purchases.  And when we do make a purchase we come up with a plan for what we will do with it.  Not just the item we buy but all that packaging that goes along with it.  What can we recycle?  What can we reuse?  What can be composted?  What can we avoid in the first place?

 


We have a wheelie bin for trash, a blue wheelie bin for recycling and a sizeable compost bin in our backyard.  We have orange bags to collect the harder to recycle items.  Our city offers green compostable items bins for curbside pick up as well.  In our garage I keep one orange bag hanging up to collect primarily Styrofoam and plastic bags.  A five gallon bucket collects mostly cans and some plastic bottles that we cannot find a useful purpose for.  Another five gallon bucket collects our glass.  Glass recycling has to be taken in to a special collection center, but they make it easy on us by placing collection bins in various areas of our city.  We have one at the supermarket.  Anything hazardous is set aside to be taken in to the same supermarket once a month on hazardous waste collection day.  We have loads of options for dealing with trash.

 


Here is my challenge to all of you.  How long you can go before you need to set your trash at the curb for pick up?  What are other things you can do with your stuff before it is considered garbage worthy of a trip to the landfill?  How minimal can you be with your waste?  It will take some thought, but can you imagine how impactful this could be?  And, what if you challenged your friends, neighbors and family members to do the same thing?  And then, what if all of those people challenged the people they know?  Can you imagine?  What if we made this go viral?

 

4 comments:

  1. I'm in! Then again, I've been in for decades. I use a grocery store sack in our kitchen can (reusing it each week until it needs to be tossed). We empty the bathroom cans into it each week and rarely is that little baggie full. It could take us the better part of 6 months to fill the smallest available trash bin.

    It is appalling how much trash gets put to the curb every week. And what really makes me crazy is to see cardboard boxes topping it off and sitting right next to it is the recycle bin (insert crying emoji).

    When we got new carts here in Boise, I wrote in asking if we couldn't have a small 10-15 gallon bin like they do in Portland for all of us who create nominal garbage. They said no because it can freeze up in the winter.

    I reuse as much as possible, recycle everything possible and I do look for garbage free options first. The biggest bummer is needed items that cannot be purchased "trash free". IE: toilet paper is all packaged in plastic. I do buy the larger package thinking that it's less trash. I preserve much of our garden for winter use and this generates plastic from the vacuum-seal process.

    Cheers to a no-waste challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also in, but I've also been in for a while as well! We throw away one usually-not-full-and-very-light bag of trash per week, plus whatever bags I've used to scoop the litterbox. Our wheelie blue recycling bin is usually about half to 3/4 full, and I'm always trying to get that down by refusing things, reusing, repurposing (I have plans for this week's empty coffee creamer container!). I compost absolutely everything I can, and I'm always trying to point out what I'm doing to my almost-8-year-old daughter so that she understands how important all of this is. So glad you're all in on this as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too I have been recycling and composting for years. But I also have been trying to be more mindful about generating trash buying more in bulk , reusing all I can. Good challenge !

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...