Thursday, April 21, 2022

The Economy Of Oatmeal

 


Oatmeal is definitely back on the menu plan a little more regularly now.  Not only is it nutritious and heart healthy but it is also delicious.  And very thrifty as far as a food source goes.  Plus, pretty versatile.  You can do a lot with oats.

 


I love it as a hot cereal which I can spruce up with a few simple ingredients like brown sugar and cinnamon, raisins or dried cranberries, maple syrup, just to name a few.  Some people like to add peanut butter or even chocolate chips.  The options are endless.

 


I often will use oatmeal in place of bread crumbs to make meatballs or meatloaf.  I also make honey oat bread from time to time.  Whirl it around in a food processor and you can make your own oat flour and oat milk is another easy and economical option too, both of which make excellent alternative baking resources.

 


When you break down the cost of oatmeal it is really hard to beat.  For instance one serving of oatmeal is half a cup of dry oats (8¢).  I personally find this is too much for me to eat without it feeling like a big blob in my stomach so I will only eat half a serving making it even more economical (4¢).  And compared to the cost of a gallon of milk right now oat milk is definitely a more economical option (16¢ a quart) and the residual oat pulp left after straining can be used in cookies, bread, muffins, etc.  No waste.

 


Rolled oats and quick cooking oats have a place in our pantry for a variety of healthy and economical reasons.  I plan to use them more often and in more ways than I've ever used them before.  That oat milk recipe is calling my name.  Are you an oatmeal fan?

 

12 comments:

  1. We keep oatmeal for making meatloaf and I also make my dog’s food, which includes oatmeal and pumpkin. I never make it as cereal for myself, but I keep the little flavored oatmeal packages in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learn something new every day! I've never heard of oat milk. I'll be passing this on to my daughter and maybe try it myself. Thank you for sharing this. I love oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips! I hadn't thought about making oatmilk.
    So you think oatmeal goes rancid? I have a carton that I hadn't opened, and I just noticed that the best by date was 12/21. I've got to get better about rotating/using stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have gluten allergies. I use oatmeal a lot. I grind it into flour and I make muffins,cookies,bread,waffles you name.
    It makes wonderful bread. A loaf of gluten free bread costs seven dollars and up.
    My oatmeal bread costs a dollar to make
    And it tastes like real bread.
    So for your readers who have a gluten allergy, they may want to try baking with oatmeal flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have a favorite recipe you'd be willing to share. I'd love to try it!

      Delete
  5. Homemade granola is my favorite way to use oatmeal

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...