Thursday, July 14, 2022

Inflation/Recession = Consume Less

 


I'm combating this crazy inflation simply by being less of a consumer.  Spending less money on non essentials enables me to better afford the higher rates on my utilities, increases in taxes and, in general, the things I truly need like groceries.

 


Bartering, trading and accepting items offered for free is another way I'm acquiring non essential items as well as using gift cards and asking for certain things I'd like to have as gifts on special occasions.  My girls have given me gift cards and bestowed me with plants and shrubs quite a bit this year in order for me to finally have the yard of my dreams.  My next door neighbor shared some of her sedums with me and I've acquired rocks and gravel from people who were only too happy to have someone haul them off for them.

 

Gravel for FREE off of Facebook Marketplace

I'm rationing a lot of our essential items, in particular food and fuel.  Don't worry, I'm getting plenty to eat, but overeating is not something I'm keen on right now.  I'm paying attention to portion sizes, cooking simple basic meals and doing what I can to make my food supply last as long as possible.  We even planted a small garden.

 

Vegetable Lo Mein
We only eat two meals a day with meat in just one of those meals 

I'm also strictly sticking to my $100 a month grocery budget (I am still feeding two people on a regular basis) and if I can spend less each month, so much the better.  I have a $25 gasoline budget and even though that doesn't get much at the moment it's working for me right now.  I'm careful with how many trips in the car or truck I take and I make each trip count so I'm efficient with my fuel consumption.  If I can walk or ride my bike instead of driving I do it.

 

I keep my grocery shopping pretty minimal

Right now I don't go shopping (except for food and landscaping project supplies), eat out very little and don't pay for entertainment.  If something breaks I try to fix it.  I try to use what I already have so I don't have to buy extra things unnecessarily.  I watch whatever is offered free  on online streaming, I listen to music and watch DVDs I already have.  A monthly trip to the library provides me with additional media as well as books at no charge.  If I get bored I go outside, work in my yard or take a walk.  I'm just keeping it really simple.  What are some things you are doing to combat inflation?

 

2 comments:

  1. I need to do better. Looks like you’re doing great keeping the course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying my best. Some days are harder than others though. ;)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...