Monday, May 7, 2012

Mini Vacations


I believe strongly in vacations.  I think everyone needs and deserves a break.  A change of pace from the norm.  Something new, different and exciting.  Something to look forward to. 

I feel that a family vacation needs to be a priority in our lives; a time to form new memories and experiences with each other that we will carry with us for a lifetime. 

My parents were always good about taking us camping and fishing or to visit relatives.  We still reminisce about those times fondly.  My mother loves to remind me of all the times I got car sick and threw up on my little brother. 

I have no idea how my parents were able to afford those trips.  It wasn’t something they shared with us.  Knowing them the way I do however, I doubt they went into debt to go on one.  I know they weren’t fancy vacations with airfare and lavish hotels.  Most of the time we camped in a tent and not always in a campground.  We sure had a great time. 

Not always does our budget or our schedules allow for a big fancy vacation and that is fine.  I’m a home body and I actually prefer what I like to call Mini Vacations.  I find that I can get away more often and go more places and I spend less money doing so. 

I haven’t been on a vacation in nearly three years.  I did take the kids for a three day weekend getaway last summer but that is it.  After that I told myself and my children I would do it more often.  So far I haven’t.  It is my own fault because I stopped making it a priority.  Bad decision. 


This year our budget for vacations will be tighter than it has been for a long time and it will be a challenge for me to make it work but I’m up for it.  I love a big challenge and I am determined.  Time spent with my family is precious and I have to make it a priority.  Always. 

Our first mini vacation is going to be a camping trip to Yellowstone.  We don’t live far from this magnificent place and I have promised the girls I would take them for some time now.  My youngest wants to see a buffalo.  Shouldn’t be a problem.  Yellowstone has a few. 

I had decided, almost immediately after deciding to sell, not to sell my Scamp camping trailer.  My Dad talked me out of it and he didn’t have to put much effort into it.  I’m hopelessly in love with that little trailer and our family has had a lot of fun with her.  I’m not ready to give that up yet. 

So now that she is all cleared out and cleaned up I am getting ready to re-load her and get her ready for the summer season.  I bought the tags for the license plate, checked the lights and made a list of small repairs we are going to do before we head out.  My dad is putting in a new countertop and welding on a new tongue jack for me.  Once she is returned to me this week I can fill her back up.  I can hardly wait. 

I will keep you posted on my progress and share our adventures with you throughout the summer.  I’m excited and so is my family.  This is going to be a great summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...