Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My Big Spring Project

My 1977 13ft Scamp Trailer

Because we are staying put I quickly decided not to sell my little travel trailer.  I also told myself that if I am keeping it we will be using it – often.  Along with all the other projects I have taken on in the past six weeks I also decided to give my trailer a much needed overhaul.  There isn’t much to these little trailers but, as with anything, they do need to be maintained and eventually they need a little more than routine care. 

My trailer is a 13 foot Scamp built in 1977.  The company is still in existence today, despite a factory fire a few years ago that destroyed all of their fabrication equipment and their buildings.  Thankfully they were able to rebuild and are now fully operational again.  They have a website if you would like more information - www.scamptrailers.com

My parents bought the trailer I now own and I knew the first time I laid eyes on her that I wanted one for myself.  It was small and adorable, lightweight and had everything in it I needed.  At this time we were strictly tent campers so this was a serious upgrade.  I also know that because of its size I could handle it and pull it with my little pick up, no problem. 

When my parents decided to upgrade (Mom wanted a toilet) she became mine.  I was so excited to get her because I never thought my dad was ever going to let this thing go.  I still think he dreams of stealing her back sometimes. 

I have owned this trailer for 12 years now and we have put a lot of miles on her.  Other than keeping her clean the only thing I’ve done up until now was to have my dad put a new laminate top on the table about ten years ago and a new set of tail lights last year.  Oh, and I replaced the propane regulator sometime ago too.  This spring, however, I felt she was showing her age so I decidedto do a lot more. 

Thank goodness for the fact that I happen to have been blessed with a talented father that can fix anything and who also happens to have a big shop full of stuff.  The first thing he did was to put new marker lights on the side of the trailer, her old original ones no longer worked and then to weld on a new tongue jack for me, the old original one was worn out. 

He primed and painted the tongue and bumper for me and because he had an extra battery box, and a battery no less, he added that too.  Now I have battery powered lights inside!  We have never had those hooked up before.  I am so pleased. 

A couple Sundays ago I went up to help him and we re-plumbed the propane line simply because it was the old original and we felt it was time for an upgrade.  Safety is key.  Then we added a new counter top and replaced the table top so it would match. 

New countertop & updated cabinets

Matching table top

So nice!  I just love it.

Last week we put her back into my driveway and I was able to sand and paint the cabinet doors, add new knobs and paint the inside of the cabinet floors.  I have scrubbed every nook and cranny of this trailer inside and out.  My mother insisted we clean the inside of the hubcaps!  So I do mean every nook and cranny. 

The wheel bearings have been re-packed and on Monday I took her down to get new tires.  All I have left to do is finish applying the gel gloss to the exterior, which I do annually, and to re-fill the propane tank.  Once that is done she will be ready to roll. 

My dad had all the lumber, screws, laminate, welding supplies, hardware, most of the paint, etc.  What I had to purchase out of pocket was bearings, flexible propane line, marker lights, tongue jack, paint for the cabinets, new knobs and of course, tires.  My out of pocket expense came in just under $350.  Not bad when you stop to think about all we did to her. 

Fortunately I still had just enough money left from my yard sale to cover the paint and knobs for the cabinet doors.  I was able to pay cash for everything but the tires.  I put those on my credit card and will be getting that paid off next month when the bill comes due. 

We are so excited about using her this summer and getting out and about.  I’ll keep you updated on our travels as we re-discover the great state that we live in.  Hopefully next year we can head out of state and explore some of the places we always talk about like Mount Rushmore and the Grand Canyon. 

Thanks for indulging me here.  Do you have any fun trips planned for your summer?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...