Tuesday, May 12, 2015

A Day At The Dunes!

Not sure why the state is backwards, but whatever.

It has been awhile since the girls and I took a day trip.  About a year to be exact  And it was a lot of fun to go somewhere none of us had ever been to before.  The Bruneau Sand Dunes.

Some friends of ours suggested we pack a picnic and head on out Saturday and we were all for it.  On the way there we stopped and checked out the farmer's market in Mountain Home.  A lot of talented artisans were there selling their wares.  One vendor insisted on telling me everything he knew about chicken eggs.  In triplicate!

After the girls had a quick pony ride we jumped back into the care and headed for the state park.  I had a "Buddy Pass" that allowed us into the park for free.  We grilled burgers and hotdogs at one of the picnic areas and after lunch the girls and I checked out one of the trails.  We turned back when we encountered a lovely swarm of mosquitos.

Cool trail we walked





The girls had a ball.  They LOVED climbing the sand dunes and then sliding back down them on their bums.  They couldn’t believe how many times they had to stop and dump out their shoes.

The observatory.  It wasn't open when we were there so I guess
we'll have to go back sometime.

The weather was perfect, we couldn't have asked for better.  Even when my best friend decided to take a header onto the fishing dock we made the best of it by pulling up a couple of chairs and shooting the breeze while she licked her wounds.  I was just grateful she didn't seriously injure herself, although her pride was bruised a bit.


Stopping for ice cream on the way home was the perfect topper to a fantastic day.

Do you visit the state parks where you live?



4 comments:

  1. Pretty :-) Kentucky State Parks are free and we have been to several of them. This is a beautiful state. We used to go to various ones to go hiking, but we don't do that much anymore. Every single time we have gone out in the past few years we find (or about step on) a snake and I am terrified of them! I would love to take my son out hiking in them though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haaaaate snakes. But lucky you. Our parks are $5 per car to get in. Not bad if you consider what that money goes to. Or you can do what I do and buy a year long pass for $10 and go to any of them as many times as you like.

      Delete
  2. What a nice day out for you gals! We love going to state parks. We also bring our own food and make a day out of it. We like to go hiking and exploring. Outings like that are great because it is so refreshing to enjoy the beauty of nature and I like these ventures because they are so frugal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to walk the trails and am a sucker for any loop trail. My dad says if it loops around it seems I just have to walk it. Hiking is a favorite pastime of mine.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...