Monday, May 4, 2015

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


I patched the knees in two pair of my youngest's blue jeans.  I cut denim squares from a pair of jeans she had outgrown and put in the thrift store bag to use as the patches and zig zagged stitches across the holes to secure them.  She was impressed and told me they looked like the ones her friends at school were wearing.


I planted three of the tomato plants in the garden that we had grown from seeds my oldest had saved.  I placed tomato cages I already had around them.  I also planted the eight pepper plants I bought last week at the feed store.


I planted marigolds and pansies along the perimeter of the raised beds in order to help attract pollinators.

While organizing under the bathroom sink I found a soap dispenser I had purchased when we first moved back home.  It had a little bit of soap left in it.  I added a little water and used it up this week. 

I managed to squeeze every last drop of toothpaste out of the tube before tossing it.  Where some might have considered it empty and trashed it I was able to brush my teeth an additional week with what I was able to work out of the tube.

I picked a bunch of dandelion greens and gave them to our chickens as well as a few kitchen scraps and apple cores.  They love their "treats".

I composted coffee grounds, tea bags, eggs shells and onion skins.


I made a half recipe of snickerdoodles and a half recipe of lemon bars.  Both were diet versions and I wasn't overly impressed.  I'll be working on those recipes a bit to make them tastier.

On the way home from my oldest's art show at school I stopped in at Albertson's and picked up two cartons of eggs on sale for 88¢ each.

I used the credit card applications I received in this week's mail to start a fire in our fire pot in the backyard Friday night.  We burned firewood pruned from our big tree a couple years ago.


Saturday we planted our blueberry bushes beside our deck.  The raspberry plant divided into three plants.  I used our homemade wire tomato cages to support and protect them while the shock of transplanting wears off.

We planted beets, green onions and radish seeds in between the pepper plants.

Patience prevailed and I ordered my sewing table, on sale and with free shipping from eBay.  I used my PayPal credit account to get 6 months to pay with no interest.  It is a modular table with three drawers for storage and two drop leaves.  I am thrilled to finally have a real piece of furniture designated for sewing instead of the plastic folding table I've used for years.  Next on my list is a coordinating dresser for fabric and notion storage.


I finished the baby afghan for my Etsy inventory.  I made it with purple and gray yarn, although the purple photographs more as a blue.  It truly is a lovely lavender by Red Heart.

We enjoyed Family Movie Nite and watched Brother's Grimm and Finding Neverland on Amazon.

How thrifty were you last week?


6 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful afghan! I used coupons for my son's formula, had free lunch and dinner one day, and filled a shampoo bottle up with water and got 2 more washings with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you. I love making them. Great thrifty moves lady!

      Delete
  2. Oh what a beautiful baby blanket !!! I can just picture a sweet little baby all snugly and wrapped up warm in that pretty lavender. Some lucky person will snap this up for sure.
    My week was not so thrifty. My tomato seeds died so I ended up buying one heirloom tomato plant for the garden. It already has a bud so perhaps my seed failure was a sign of better things to come ;) At least the herbs that I planted last week are still flourishing well in the old galvanized tub on the patio.
    Glad your week was productive and thrifty. Please continue to share with us.
    Vanessa B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your tomato plants. My basis went kaput. I will try again though, I think. I haven't done well with herbs in the past. Thank you for the compliments on the baby blanket. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...