Monday, January 23, 2017

Last Week's Thrifty Moves


My main focus this past week has been to get myself back and forth to work, make it through work each day and then get home to rest.  Mission accomplished, but it wasn't without helpers.  And I can honestly say, without a doubt, I have the best daughters ever!  And awesome friends too!

I thought this was so sweet.  My youngest with her wounded kitty.

To start out the week we began with a house call from the vet (not so thrifty).  Our thirteen year old yellow tabby apparently slipped on the ice outside and sprained his "ankle".  Pain meds and downtime was the prescription, so he and I spent a lot of time together.

A quick trip to Fred Meyer so the girls could pick up a few things to help them with the cooking.  Unfortunately I don't have a picture of what they got and I wish I did because they did such a good job.

On the way home from work Wednesday I stopped at the bank and made a deposit into my savings account.  Yipeeeeee!

Me and Leonard working on the afghan together

Throughout the week I worked on my granny square afghan and used up quite a bit of leftovers in the zippered storage bag I keep my yarn in.  It is looking fantastic!  

I uploaded the Fred Meyer Friday Freebie to my rewards card - Annie's Mac & Cheese. 


I went to one thrift store Friday evening after dropping my oldest off at a basketball game.  I found pajama patterns for 12¢ apiece (hard to beat that!) and a package of drawer pulls for $1.95.  I thought these pulls would be nice to have for a project I've been thinking about doing.  I think these drawer pulls are rather expensive at the hardware store.  I'm also pretty excited about the patterns.  I plan to make the girls pajamas again for Christmas.


Saturday morning my oldest surprised me and took me out to breakfast.  With her tiny budget and a coupon we dined at Burger King.  It was perfect!



After our breakfast I dropped her off at her robotics workshop.  On the way home I was feeling pretty good so I popped into a thrift store to see what they had.  I found a couple of treasures.  Three brand new skeins of yarn for $3.97.  I see another project in my future.


Two vintage quart jars for 59¢ each.


A couple votive candles 39¢ and 79¢.  A striped blue pillar candle for 99¢ and a cute flower candle holder for 59¢.  I plan to save the blue pillar candle and the flower candle holder to give my oldest as a birthday gift.


I've been looking for quite awhile for a little china dish to use as a soap dish.  I found this pretty one and I think it will be perfect.  I will keep it for my future retirement house.

Ready for the oven

Later that day I played Pinochle with my girl friends.  It was a welcome distraction to be able to sit and visit and play a game we all love.  My youngest helped me make a couple veggie pizzas with whole wheat crust to contribute to our little snackfest.  They were a hit.

That was pretty much it.  How was your thrifty week?



18 comments:

  1. What a lovely afghan! I especially like your alternating of light and dark outer row blocks. Really nice.

    Don't know if you meant to -- but somehow, the 'piles' on the desk and table in the background of the afghan photo were comforting. You always seem so together; it's nice to know you accumulate piles like the rest of us.

    Best feline wishes to the recovering Leonard. Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm afraid my desk is stacking up a bit. It is on my list of things to do this week because it drives me nuts.

      Delete
  2. It's great that you are bringing the girls up so well. They will always be a joy to you and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a kind thing for you to say. Thank you so much Carole.

      Delete
  3. Orange Tabby cats are my favourite. They generally are the sweetest cats ever. The only exception was our neighbors nazi cat when I was a kid. He got in our house one day and for our own protection we managed to lock him in a room until his owner came and retrieved him. Most vicious cat ever!!! Lol.

    Hope Leonard (great name) if better soon :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange tabbies are awesome for sure! He is a great big love.

      Delete
  4. Love the afghan, are you getting hit with weather again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, we are. Snowed most of the day, but warm enough that the main streets are just wet. Neighborhood is a mess still.

      Delete
  5. You know how you get to the end of a solid deodorant & that half inch or so falls out ..onto the floor! Then I would just use my hand to apply it. Well, I had 4! leftovers... hmmhm..wonder if this would work. I dumped all the pieces of deodorant into a microwave bowl, zapped till it was pretty well melted, stirred to smooth it, then put it back into a deodorant container. Let it cool. Came out great :) I will do it again..but will not use a good bowl. Hard to wash out. I will use a clean veg can in a pot of water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously?! I had no idea you could do that. I just had one fall on the floor last week so I got mad and tossed it. Hmmmmm. Might have to try that. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
    2. Yup, I save my almost empty stick deodorants and once there is enough, I scrape out all of the containers into a glass Pyrex except one of the "empty" deodorants, I leave alone, except for twisting the stick as low as it will go. Nuke the salvedged deodorant, stir every so many seconds and once liquified, pour into the remaining deodorant that still has residual in the bottom. Let cool. Use as you normally would, the next day.

      Delete
    3. I'll be darned. I learn something new everyday!

      Delete
  6. Oh, I hope your cat recovers quickly. He looks nice and cozy cuddled up next to your daughter and again, next to you and your afghan. Lovely afghan, too! It looks nice and warm.

    I altered one of my skirts to fit me better, and added new elastics to my half slips to replace the stretched out elastics. New half slips of the same brand are selling for $7.99; I was able to renew 5 slips for the cost of a package of elastic and electricity to run the sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is already much better, thank you. The afghan is warm and I'm excited to finish it. I'm impressed with your savvy sewing. You saved yourself a bundle.

      Delete
  7. What a sweet helper while you work on your afghan...Leonard looks quite comfy...I love reading about your thrift trips...

    I've found you can save those falling off chunks of deodorant in the original container and when you have a few microwave and they sort of melt back together...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks. He is a pretty sweet little guy. That's a good idea to nuke them in the container.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a thrifty week, as always! You're obviously raising your girls right if they take care of their animals and their mom! (And also manage to be prudent when shopping and taking mom out for breakfast!)

    I had to laugh at Cindy's comment, because I felt similarly! I always have several different projects going on at once (just how my mind works), so I always have papers and craft/cooking/blogging supplies on the dining room table, which drives the DH crazy as he is a very linear person (finish one project and on to the next).

    And, I hope you're ok? Just a touch of flu or such? If you're sick, I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm laughing, too...because I have papers and notes all over the dining room table! A small space was shoved aside, so Husband could have breakfast.
      Unfortunately, he rarely puts his own paperwork away, on the theory that it's out "when he needs it." So we aid and abet each other.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...