Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Bike Trailer Update & A BIG Grocery Haul



This past Saturday I really wanted to take the bike cargo trailer, hook it up to my bicycle and do what I originally intended when I acquired said trailer.  We were blessed with some cooler temperatures for a few days so I decided I'd take advantage of that and go for groceries.  Lucky me, my youngest offered to join me and tag along.

Leftover bits & bobs

I used some slightly longer screws to make sure it was well attached

Before we left I used some of the remaining hardware to attach a black storage tote to the trailer along with some slightly longer screws to make sure it was well secured.  I reused the plastic washers to reinforce the attachment points.  

All secured into place


The tote has clips to securely hold the lid on.  I also tossed a couple of bungi cords inside the tote to strap items on top of the tote.

Ready to roll!

This cargo trailer holds a lot!

I had a pretty good sized list this time because Albertson's was having a heck of a good sale.  Most of what I purchased was fairly heavy too.  Normally this would've been a prime time to use the car or truck, but I'm one of these people that figures "go big or go home", ha, ha!

We didn't even squish the bread

My partner in crime
We used the bungee cords to strap two extra bags on top

We pedaled down to the grocery store and did our shopping.  Then we loaded up the trailer and managed to get it all on with no trouble at all.

We passed on this very enticing yard sale since we had ice cream

And we made it home!

We have a pretty good sized hill between the grocery store and home so once I got that far and couldn't pedal up anymore I hopped off and pushed it up to the top.  Then I hopped back on and made my way home.

That is a bunch of groceries!

My daughter took up the rear and reported that all went well.  Nothing fell off and our maiden voyage went off without a hitch.  I was super proud of myself for managing the trip and once we got home I felt great!

I was able to get quite a few back-to-school items for lunches too

We unloaded all of our groceries and got them put away.  I was able to get a lot of meat on sale including New York Strip steaks for $4.99 a pound and chicken thighs for 69¢ a pound.  85% lean ground beef was $2.39 a pound.

Here is all the meat I bought
I repackaged the steaks, chicken and ground beef for the freezer

I picked up salad mix 80¢ a bag, cucumbers and bell peppers 39¢ each, bananas 39¢ a pound, bread 80¢ a loaf and pasta for 69¢ each for the girls, loads and loads of great bargains.  Then I was able to use additional coupons to shave even more off the price as well as two coupons for $5 OFF a $50 Purchase and $8 OFF an $80 Purchase to save another $13 off the grand total.

Starting to refill the freezer

By the time all was said and done I had purchased over $230 worth of groceries for a final total of, are you ready for this?  $89.62!!!  I was sooooo excited.  And I didn't use any gas, got a great workout in and spent some quality time with my daughter.  Win, win, win!

I'm sure I'll be making more modifications and add-ons as time goes on
I am super happy with this trailer

The bike trailer performed beautifully and I am absolutely thrilled with it.  My daughter's bike is working really well for her too and she is super happy with it.  I know we are going to get a lot of great use out of this trailer.  I'm really looking forward to our next adventure with it too.


15 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. What a great accomplishment. Dang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your bike trailer! You did a great job using it for groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a haul.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good heaven's that was quite the haul and better still you got everything at great prices. I sure wish our grocery stores would give us such pricing. I was checking the flyers this morning for bell peppers. $5.89 for three pack (red, orange, yellow), or $1.99/lb for green peppers. I'll go for the green when I pick up groceries next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked when I saw those prices. No way did I want to pass those up!

      Delete
  5. I'm sure it was very satisfying to have everything go so smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bike trailer is very impressive, but so is the amount of bargain food you managed to stow in it. I would call it a tremendously successful maiden voyage

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...