Friday, January 7, 2022

Purpose & Intent

 


The events of the past two years have been beyond crazy for most of us.  Pandemics, face masks, lockdowns, job losses, shortages, supply issues, health concerns, vaccines, politics, riots, shootings, protests, sensational news reports, the list goes on and on.  While I personally can't makes sense of most of this it has helped me in an odd way.  If nothing else, it has cemented in me the desire to live the remainder of my life with purpose and intent.

 


I've had a much stronger desire to approach all aspects of my life with more clarity and a sense of purpose.  Asking myself, "Why am I doing this?" and then approaching that task or event with a purpose rather than just mindlessly going about.  Something as simple as doing the laundry or going to work.  I put much more thought into what I am doing and I am really present in the moment.  Whether I'm folding towels or arranging medical care for a patient I'm focused and aware of what I am doing.  And as a result I'm feeling much more fulfilled.

 


I am much more intentional about the things I do.  I put more thought into things and I plan more.  I feel like I have more control of the things I can control and more peace with the things I can't.  I'm not responsible for other people's thoughts or actions, only my own, and that is a big responsibility all in itself.  I'm approaching that responsibility with a new sense of purpose.  While I can't single handedly save the world, I can be a better person.  I can be kind, positive, happy, helpful and patient.  If I focus on being those things I think I make the world better.  I can do that.

 


I can give way and allow someone to change lanes in front of me or exit a parking lot onto a busy street.  I can bake cookies to share with our neighbors or my co-workers.  I can send a card in the mail to my friend for no particular reason.  I can make my cat extremely happy, and myself in the process, by simply giving him some lap time.  I can slow down and quite literally smell the roses.  I can appreciate the snow falling or the rain.  I relish the simple things in life - drink a glass of wine, listen to some music, read a book, learn something new, make a gift, crochet a scarf, prepare a nice meal and really taste my food, whatever feels good and gives me that sense of quiet accomplishment, I'm all for it.

 


I am no longer racing my way through life.  I'm no longer questioning myself about what I am doing or feeling as if I have wasted the day.  Life is more meaningful now.  I approach my days with purpose and intent.  I feel good.

 

14 comments:

  1. I love this post. Bad times make us appreciate the good times!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post! Something I need to strive for as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific message today. We always have a choice and you've made positive impact mental changes rather than going dark.

    Wishing you a fabulous weekend of joy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This gave me some serious thinking!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post. I have started doing the same. Paying attention to each and every moment instead of living on auto pilot. It feels so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Thanks for the reminder of what is really important!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the other commenters - love this post!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated. I love hearing from you.

**Note: Comment Moderation has been turned on due to spam.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...